General Election coming up - time to help our sport.

Mike2

That was obviously from that Halfwit Russell then Poontang, He won't even answer me when I quizzed him on his support of the EDM on banning game shooting.

My MP has replied the same as Jason Gold, he will answer e mails in turn. Although he has obviously seen mine to be able to reply to it.

The response will be a computer generated reply to the first email because i emailed late at night and got a response.

Finally got a letter today from my MP Brooks Newmark , he says that he and his party (conservatives) remain strong supporters of shooting sports and recognise both the positive impact it can have on our economy and conservation efforts. And have just announced plans to amend the law to ensure that all competitive target pistol shooters can train and compete in this country , so all good then. A copy of the letter has been sent to basc

Edited by jasons gold

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think any government at this present time will ban something that at the moment generate millions of pounds worth of revenue if they do they are mad. What they'll do is put more and more restrictions over time making it harder to go shooting. Thats why we need shooting organisations such as BASC, CA, NGO and SACS to fight for these.

Show your support for shooting, send your letters.

A statement like: I wonder what part of shooting the BASC will throw to the wolves if the antis get anywhere near to getting a ban? makes me wonder if the poster is simply taking the mick or if they are trying to be deliberately malicious, or are simply ignorant of the fact that BASC fights FOR shooting not against it?

Perhaps the poster is not aware of the work that BASC does to keep pigeon shooting, or stalking, or game shooting, or wildfowling and so on.

Rather than speculating on conspiracy theories perhaps people like you should spend you time going onto the BASC election site and contacting your MP’s and PPC’s and then posting back what they say – more productive.

Sorry David, you seem offended but my post was just a personal opinion and wasnt meant to upset anyone.

"People like me" chose not to give my money to BASC, I am a member of the CA as their insurance is more inclusive (covers more aspects of field sports) and is cheaper too.

They not ONLY acticvely support shooting but angling, Hunting with hounds and many other aspects of country persuits.

It just put a flea in my ear when I read that hunting with hounds is "small fry", not if you hunt with hounds it isnt! :sad1:

IMHO the BASC would do better on forums such as these to encourage shooters to support all hunters whatever their method of choice then you may really see hunting, shooting and fishing safe for the future.

And by the way, yes I think its a good idea to use your election site and will do so.

YIS

Badfeet

Had a reply from

Antoinette Sandbach, (conservative) who is in favor of field sports it seems, her email suggests her family participate :good::):lol::lol:

and

The Rt Hon David Hanson MP (yes you guessed Labour) :) who does he think he is :) ''Thanks- I will be in touch soon'' :lol: That took a lot of thought :thumbs:

The other team have no email it seems :good::good:

BASC have supported the CA / BFSS rallys and marches, but then some hunters said , as I recall, that shooting a fox was far more crule then hunting with hounds! Well thanks hunters !

Yes the CA are a 'broad church' organisation, and I think the only thing their insurance covers that the BASC insurance does not is mounted hunting and horse work, and yes their insurance is cheap (have you read the exclusion on the policy that makes it cheap by the way - ouch!)

BASC is a shooting organisation first and foremost, and I think it is important that BASC maintains focus on shooting, and let the CA maintian focus on hunting and the Angling Trust maintian focus on fishing.

If BASC members or members of this forum want to supoort hunting then it is up to them, and I doubt very much they want or need encouragement from me to do so.

But this thread is about the general election and not about the role that the CA may play in bringing back fox hunting, if you want to start another thread about the CA and their roll in the election process to bring back hunting then by all means do so, but may I ask that this thread maintians focus on generating cross party support for shooting please?

David

I made the mistake of taking the easy route and just using the BASC wording in my e-mails to my MP and candidates. Unfortunately the wording of the various options is not very clever. My sitting MP (Gordon Banks, Lab) simply replied to say that he was best described by "Option 2" which says, "I am supportive of some aspects of legal shooting sports but have reservations in one or more areas"

Unfortunately it does not say which "one or more areas" he has reservations about. Killing live birds, I suspect. Or maybe unlicensed airguns. Although he is not a veggie - he goes to the same Burns supper as me every year and tucks into his haggis.

So if you still have to send your requests, maybe change the wording to be more specific, rather than being lazy like me.

Edited by Pinkfooty

This is what I recieved from another MP, I haven't yet started shooting game, just clays and pests, But it's an interesting response:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

I suppose the option that comes closest to my views is that I do not yet have

enough information to make an assessment. I have had a quick look at the website

and am impressed by the codes of conduct. I am certainly not hostile to

shooting; and since I eat game birds, including partridge and pheasant, it would

be rather hypocritical of me if I were. I myself have not discharged a live

firearm since I was in the air cadets in the 1980s, but I accept that shooting

has a role to play in the economy.

Do you yourself shoot regularly? If so, might it be possible for me to accompany

you on a forthcoming shoot as an observer so that I can find out more at first

hand about this activity?

Once again, thank you for contacting me.

Yours sincerely

Hugh Annand

Liberal Democrat PPC for North East Hertfordshire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David - Any ideas on a response??

Thanks

Dear All,

Thanks you for this.

Firstly, if an MP or PPC comes back with a vague answer or is not clear in any way, then by all means get back to them and chase it up, thus opening a dialogue with them.

Secondly, if any MP or PPC wants more info or to go onto a shoot then by all means let BASC know and we will work with you and them to help sort it out.

David

I was prompted by this thread to check the status my own MP, the Rt Hon David Cameron. His status on the BASC website being ‘unknown’, I decided to contact him and duly received the following letter from him this morning:

Thank you for contacting me about Conservative policy towards rural sports and shooting.

I learnt to shoot with a shotgun in my early teens. I have always supported country sports, such as shooting, and always will. I understand well all the benefits towards the countryside and employment and recognise how many other people enjoy this pastime.

As a party, we have given various disciplines of the sport considerable backing over recent years, most recently announcing plans to amend the law to ensure that all competitive target pistol shooters can train and compete in this country. You can rest assured that Conservatives will continue to support this sport and its participants.

etc. etc.

I'll forward the letter on to BASC.

You can't get much better than that!! Providing he's got the spine to see it through of course! :lol:

Mark

I have just received a letter in the post this morning from my MP

"Thank you for your e mail of 11th january concerning my views on shooting. I shoot regularly myself and support shooting sports conducted in accordance to the current codes of practice. I wish you and the BASC my full support in your aims of promoting shooting and conservation.

Yours Sincerely

Bernard Jenkin"

He is a Conservative MP and has always been alright as far as I know.

• 3 weeks later...

just had my second response from the linked person from the basc web site. This is the reply he gave

Hi,

I am supportive, though Cricklade is no longer in the North Swindon

constituency - it is now part of North Wilts who is James Gray MP.

Thanks, Justin

This after the other person the basc would have me believe was the candidate for my area had retired makes me believe that the whole thing is a little ill thought out.It would appear a quick trip back to the drawing board would be in order.

David Basc said

"Come on people! Let’s not sit back and do nothing! Let’s not allow pre-conceptions cloud our judgement. For sure if we do nothing, then nothing will happen - self fulfilling prophecy time!

It will take you bout 5 mis, maybe less to send e-mails to your MP and PPC's, surely this is worth 5 mins of your time? By law your MP has to give you time if you are on of their constituents, that’s why it is SO important for members on PW etc to get in touch with their MP"

in response I would like to reply no it wasn't worth my time and i'm also not sure now, worth my money, as this is the first real thing I have looked into on the basc site since joining I'm hoping the rest of the things they do for "my sport" aren't as flawed as this.

Still i'm glad to know they are doing this "Of course BASC will target MP’s Cabinet members, policy setters, civil servants etc in Parliament, but this effort by BASC can only do so much without your help and support at the local level."

Lets just hope they get the right people and don't end up targeting the palais bourbon.

all the best nick

Edited by hendersons

• 4 months later...