Old Ivory Handles

Axe

I have a collection of old cutlery that was given to me after my grandfather died a little while back.

It's actually what appears to be a very large dinner set but crucially all the knives are made with Ivory handles. Interestingly, they are all wrapped in sets of knives etc., in what appears to be the original tissue paper and have never been used.

So i'd like to ask if they might have any value?

Now I actually have a couple similar in my kitchen draw that we tend to use for the butter, don't ask why we just do. But I have noticed recently that one of the handles has started cracking and is becoming loose.

So i'd also like to ask if there is a way to repair this properly and should I be looking after the Ivory in any specific way?

I just assume they are Ivory I am no expert though, how would I tell? ;)

Looking through Google I have found similar knives that are listed as Ivory. I have since found out that the collection was part of wedding present so that would date them from the 30's I believe.

As for the pair that are cracking, they are slightly different with a more squaure finish to the handle and have a more dirty cream / grey colour as opposed to the unsused set which has a polished hand made finish that is much more yellow cream in colour. I'll try and get some pics togther.

Can quite rem ;) I think Ivory has faint lines running down it. The obvious question, is the metal work silver? Hallmarks? If it is ivory then almost cert to be silver. If there is a mark look for two letters side by side they date it. Also there will be a small motiff a lion is the Birmingham proof house and correlated to the letters. There are other motiffs but I don't know them-not many though. See what you can and google it. Value...not high really. Unless they were mint and over 100 yrs old but must be mint because who wants to eat with something...someone else used. In this day and age the value of the silver would dictate the price. Ivory would be a bonus.

The two that are cracking are not part of a set they were used as regular knives for some time and look very worn out but still or at least were still usable. Its more sentimental value that I hold of them and would like to keep despite their condition.

The collection however was part of a large canteen, which apparently was twice the usual size at that time. Half of this canteen was used as regular cutlery and the other half kept unused. I will have a dig through and sort some pics out today hopefully. There is no orignal box and they all lie loose in an old suitcase which is where they have been for the last 40 years or so. :rolleyes:

I managed to dig them out and have a good look. It appears the Collection is a regular Canteen of 12 places I have six unused of all the main items. I have no idea what else might be missing from the canteen that you see on the following pic's but I have numbered the quantities of what exists. The teaspoons are all unused.

The knives show Firth Stainless and the maker as D F Blears maybe, but i'm not good with old style writing. The forks and spoons all show Nickel Plate on the underside.

I also found a set of 5 matching what I assume to be Silver Plated Fish Knives, forks and spoons. Along with an assortment of random silver, stainless or nickel plated items not shown.

I am not expecting any miracle values to appear but thanks for all the help so far.

post-1755-1262781091.jpg

post-1755-1262781099.jpg

post-1755-1262781075.jpg

post-1755-1262781080.jpg

Axe IMO highly unlikely to be ivory...only the most expensive sets and I do mean EXPENSIVE used ivory mot are made of bone, usually cattle bone. There is a company or two that still make them using cattle bone.

As for value I think that unless you've a full and complete set in fine condition they'll not be worth much. If they're canteen boxed (you know nice quality wooden box baise lined etc then that would help the price.

Whatever you do don't try washing them in the dishwasher as the handles are usually stuck in place with animal glue which will (if they haven't already) solidify and become brittle and none stick! I don't think it'd do the bone much good either.

sorry for the bad news mate but there made of bone and the metal on one of them is stainless and the other ones are eps the hall marks are just the makers name thats it theres no silver marks there

they were made by the atkin brothers <marks ha>

marks <ea> is the place they were made these were made in edenbrough

epa = electro plated silver

the marks for newer plated silver are now eps in a square box

On the contrary, its not bad news at all. I was aware that the main set was stainless and that the 'odd' set was probably plated. The thing is, it's always best to check and I really didn't have any misconceptions about it becoming a family heirloom. It's value to me however, is priceless in a sentimental way and I doubt, even it was valuable, I would have parted with it.

The two knives that need repairing will probably receive the epoxy resin as advised earlier.

Thanks to everyone that replied. :yp:

looking at them took me right back to my childhood, my Grandparents had a set that looked very much like them, they were used every day and we had to use the fish knives if eating fish even if it was fish from the chip shop, they had the right knives so we had to use them LoL :blush:

The stainless knives are actually very sharp for a dinner knife. The blades are very thin but hold an edge very well. the half set that has been used, has stood up to the test of time very well, given that they are in the region of 70-80 years and were used regularly. I intend to put the remaining set to good use. :yes: