help whot am i doing wrong

dead eye alan

Has no-one mentioned his hide....Could it be that your moving to much in the hide...Are you taking a dog with you that's spooking the birds before they commit...Are you wearing a face veil when your peering out over the hide....All these things will stop pigeons coming anywhere near you...They have eye-sight 7 times better than you....

Just a thought..Good luck.. :blush::good:

Hi mate,

we all have this problem dont let it get to you, you said you have read the john batley book, do you the same hide as he shows in his book?

I tryed it and it didnt work for me,theres no striat lines in nature or triangles,if you can watch game keepers diary pigeon shooting with geof garrod

I think you will enjoy it and get a lot usefull tips.

keep trying and keep your powder dry.

thanks smig 4373 yes i use full camo gear and face mask, no dog at moment, i have been (traind by pigeon tom) 76 years old been shooting man and boy, shown me all his tricks and still not getting any joy. and he aint getting any eather. we live in north bucks every outher field is rape this year do u think thats got anythiong to do with this problem. ther seems to be loads of birds about but just cannot get them to come in to decoys!

Hi mate,

try to get your hide as close to and inline with the hedge as posible and dont forget your back drop , ie make sure the back of your hide is as solid as the front

and try useing dead birds when posible,dont put them to close or all faceing the same way but still keep them in an horse shooe shape

and remember we /or the wild life havent had weather like this for some years.

I think diffcult birds its a case of the birds own mind set rather than what is wrong with the pattern .

If birds are not in the mood if you really study birds coming and going and feeding you get to know that on a average day the picture we provide to the incoming birds looks nowt like real birds .

This is why they flare at decoys or whirlys have you ever seen two pigeons spin round in 4 foot cicrles.

Back to basics in winter with some floaters and a very tight blob pattern with no clear area for the birds to land.

Ever book says you must have a landing strip I think in winter if you can get the birds within range thats good enough.

Good luck OTH

Dont feel bad about it-many parts of Bucks are so heavily shot that the pigeons almost feed on the wing.Add the fact that theres so much rape about for them to feed on and its really hard to make a days sport worthwhile.Sometimes its better to roost shoot them or just live with the fact that at least by being on the fields you are keeping them off the crops. You've done well to be out at the moment-good luck.

Dont feel bad about it-many parts of Bucks are so heavily shot that the pigeons almost feed on the wing.Add the fact that theres so much rape about for them to feed on and its really hard to make a days sport worthwhile.Sometimes its better to roost shoot them or just live with the fact that at least by being on the fields you are keeping them off the crops. You've done well to be out at the moment-good luck.

Well said Bruno , i think its the same all over the country ,

either Rough shoot them Roost shoot or find a good flight line

"Thats Pigeon shooting"

i have had the odd good day winter pigeon shooting but not many ,that Never stops me going at least three times a month tho , i just love being out there

Wb

Ive had some success this winter by wedging myself in a hedge under a flight line (actually just before they land in some fir trees). Just stay perfectly still, peeping over the hedge to where they will be coming from, then when they get in range, move and fire. I try and get myself into a position where I don't need to do much to get the gun shouldered.

I think keeping still is the most important part and only moving to shoot when they are too close to turn away. Shame my shooting is so bad, or I'd be pulling large bags of pigeons doing this :yes: