squirel shooting

smithy73

Hello,everyone is it possible to obtain permission to shoot squirrels,on forestry commission land,due to the damage these tree rats do to trees,and wildlife.I live in south wales and in the middle of the afan forest park.My house is surrounded by the woodland.I could literally leave my back garden and walk into the woods,and almost the same at the front of my house,it's driving me nuts,(no pun intended).Cheers Rich.

if you ask the forestry comsission then i dont see a reason why they wouldent let you shoot squirrels. i have to admit though i asked cosmeston park if i could shoot there squirrels and i expected them to say no and they did. there not native and the only way to get back the reds us to cull them reguuarly.

Edited by aaron airgunner

I am insured,first thing i did after buying my gun,i am with BASA,and my brother-in law comes with me after rabbits when he's on leave from the army.So thanks for the replys,will try and get in touch with someone from the forestry asap fingers crossed,cheers rich

If your shooting on your own if the squirrel goes behind the tree I throw my coat over a bush then hide the other side and before you know he`s dead.

I simply send the dog to the other side of the tree if that happens. :good:

Usually though the squirrel doesn't see me before I fire the shot.

we currently lease property directly from the FC and the head land agent for the east midlands said that no one apart from there registered pest controllers can do it even with standard insurnace. He said as its a public place all the time, he has to use a pest controller with public liability insure. Not sure if its standard FC practice. The only other option is organized guided deer stalking but then its the same story the guid has to have PL insurance.

Might vary where you are.

EDR

The FC do most of their own control work. They do also offer paid stalks.

When in need of assistance they will call in professional paid contractors.

It is standard policy, they cannot let any oik walk around with a gun!

Nevertheless, TALK to them, who knows what may happen!!

What about encouraging them into your garden (is it big enough) as long as its safe to do so and that there is no chance of any pellets going over your boundry then there should be no problem.

I shoot magpies in my back garden all the time but always make sure its a safe shot .

Recently saw a video of squizza shooting and they were using the old rat trick or peanut butter but for squirrels. Could use that in your garden if safe. Also don't forget squizza tastes deliciouse!! Give us the feed back on the FC. By the way Afan has some awesome DH trails for biking if your into that.