Lamp Filters

Birdboy

Hi,

Been fox shooting with .243 and HMR for around a year now. I have had reasonable success, but want to get out more this year. I have a decent Lightforce 170mm lamp with a red filter. The foxes around my way are becoming lamp shy with the red filter and so i am looking to buy a new filter tomorrow. I have seen various colours and the one i am keen on is a pale blue lightforce filter. Can any of you recommend whioch colour to try ?

Also, do most of you shoot fox at night or during the day ? which is best ? and do you sit there waiting patiently, or walk around like me ? I have heard many people only shoot early mornings.

Thanks

BB

Hi,

Try the amber, I find this much better than the red. Also, if they're lamp shy on red, don't forget to try white ( no filter), particularly at longer ranges.

I think the figures reflect that most are shot after 11 pm. Obviously, in winter you'll be lamping but where I am we have no trouble in the summer evenings and actually shoot more at that time than we do when it finally gets dark and have to revert to the lamp. AM also productive with a train of thought that they've a full belly and are just toddling off home.

Thanks for the replies.

So you are syaing that they both work as well as each other (blue & amber), just alternate them ?

BB

I bought the blue filter the other month and it works a treat had 3 foxs just hunt into the squeak unawre they were in the lamp. It works for me i used the amber before the blue just change them about so they dont get used to it

I have just been to the Sportsman Gun Centre to buy a couple of 170mm filters for the lightforce. I bought amber and a green one. The guy in the shop reckons the blue filter should only be used in mist/fog as it helps with the glare ?? Anyways, thats what he said, so i didnt buy blue.

BB

I use an amber filter on a 240 blitz cos I find the red too dark but I'm going to try the blue after reading Guss. I do get a few lamp shy ones but just persevere, they have to get lucky every night, you only have to get lucky once.

I read that aswell about the blue but spoke to the guy in the shop and he said he has done well with the blue one. I dont go out when its misty just not worth the risk in my eyes. If you keep changing the colours about they cant get used to it but the blue one does let you see it crystal clear good luck with what ever one you choose

I generally just use white light unless I know there could be a lamp shy fox in the vicinity, then I switch to red. Each to their own though, it's just about not educating the population that an X coloured light means human scent and danger, so watch the wind all the time and don't lamp in the direction the wind is blowing your scent.

I also use the natural white light whilst foxing...

I find that shooting foxes at range with filters means you are unable to identify them beyond 150yards... all you can make out is a pair of eyes... in a sea of red/green/yellow light.. and I'm never prepared to shoot at a "pair of eyes"

With the white light i'm able to see (and therefore shoot) at a lot more, without needing to worry if it's a Muntjac, Cat, etc.

Hi Badshot and I have experimented over the years with different colours and we have found the Amber to be the best allrounder, red dims the beam too much on a 170, is ok on a 240 though.

Also the use of the lamp is important, as most will allready know, once the Fox has been spotted as little light as poss is directed at the fox, play the beam just above it and lower only just enough light to maintain contact via eye reflection, gently lower the beam just as the shot is taken.

I have taped a deben dimmer to the handle and shortened the wiring so the beam can be toned down to suit the needs at the time.

Cheers Rob

Hi Badshot and I have experimented over the years with different colours and we have found the Amber to be the best allrounder, red dims the beam too much on a 170, is ok on a 240 though.

Also the use of the lamp is important, as most will allready know, once the Fox has been spotted as little light as poss is directed at the fox, play the beam just above it and lower only just enough light to maintain contact via eye reflection, gently lower the beam just as the shot is taken.

I have taped a deben dimmer to the handle and shortened the wiring so the beam can be toned down to suit the needs at the time.

Cheers Rob

almost the same way as me.. :good:

al

I tend not to use a filter, unless they wont come into shotgun range, then I stick on either green or amber. Tried red but it failed.

I have had the best luck with amber, but if you look around towns or anywhere at night, there is more amber/yellow light than any other :yes: