Internal ballistics, external Ballistics and terminal ballistics

SSS

This is my next module at college, I wondered if anyone knows of any good websites or literature I can look at to get some information.

If you have any information to share, I will greatfully recieve it.

Here is what is covered:

Internal Ballistics

Ignition

Pressure development

Danger of obstruction

Projectile Behaviour

Barrel Blockage

Timing of events

Misfire

External Ballistics

Velocity and energy at muzzle and at distance

Trajectory/spread/pattern

Maximum effective range

Theory of lead

'Method'

Terminal Ballistics

Penetration

Expansion

Carcass damage, nervous and hydraulic shock, primary and secondary damage

Clay target breakage.

Many thanks, SSS :yes:

This is my next module at college, I wondered if anyone knows of any good websites or literature I can look at to get some information.

If you have any information to share, I will greatfully recieve it.

Here is what is covered:

Internal Ballistics

Ignition

Pressure development

Danger of obstruction

Projectile Behaviour

Barrel Blockage

Timing of events

Misfire

External Ballistics

Velocity and energy at muzzle and at distance

Trajectory/spread/pattern

Maximum effective range

Theory of lead

'Method'

Terminal Ballistics

Penetration

Expansion

Carcass damage, nervous and hydraulic shock, primary and secondary damage

Clay target breakage.

Many thanks, SSS :good:

Blimey, that sounds an interesting college course! what is it? Diploma in Hitmanology?

Kyska

At the minute we are covering the internal ballistics of a shotgun,

Ignition - how fast it ignites,from the primer to the powder

Pressure development - how the gases build pressure behind the shot load causing accelerating forces

Danger of obstruction - what can happen if the barrel is blocked by a smaller cartridge

Projectile Behaviour - how the shot stays in a dense pattern or shot string

Barrel Blockage - as above, but blocked by mud or snow, either partially or completely

Timing of events - how long it takes from pulling the trigger to the shot leaving the barrel, when it becomes external ballistics

Misfire - the powder charge igniting but not burning fast enough to cause accelerating forces, different from a hang fire.

Diagrams and ballistic charts would be good. I had a look on google, but could only find internal ballistics for a rifle. Thats why I thought I would turn to the wealth of knowledge that is PigeonWatch :good:

Edited by SSS

Hi,

The Modern Shotgun, Major Sir Gerald Burrard, Pub'd 1931. A good historical background and much still highly relevant. The bible of British shotgunning (3 volumes).

A Ballistics Measurement System to Assist the Development and Evaluation of Non-Toxic Shot, R.A. Giblin and D.J. Compton. Available (hopefully still) from DEFRA, European Wildlife Division, Room 9/08, Tollgate House, Houlton Street, Bristol, BS2 9DJ. Tel: 0117 987 8694. I would imagine that for external ballistics this could well be all that you need. It also contains a host of other references which should assist you with the internal and terminal aspects.

Cheers

PS Let me know if they no longer have the latter on the shelves in Bristol.

alright lad what are you studdying and where?

im at moulton at the moment studying countryside managment its a bit poor and we do nothing like that at all aha

Im studying countryside management & gamekeeping at Rodbaston college. The other modules at the moment are Estate skills (hedge laying, fencing etc) and Heath Management. We are doing lowland heath at the minute on that. The firearms module is by far the most interesting, clay pigeon shooting is included. Its all fun and games - until we have to work

Hi,

The Modern Shotgun, Major Sir Gerald Burrard, Pub'd 1931. A good historical background and much still highly relevant. The bible of British shotgunning (3 volumes).

A Ballistics Measurement System to Assist the Development and Evaluation of Non-Toxic Shot, R.A. Giblin and D.J. Compton. Available (hopefully still) from DEFRA, European Wildlife Division, Room 9/08, Tollgate House, Houlton Street, Bristol, BS2 9DJ. Tel: 0117 987 8694. I would imagine that for external ballistics this could well be all that you need. It also contains a host of other references which should assist you with the internal and terminal aspects.

Cheers

PS Let me know if they no longer have the latter on the shelves in Bristol.

I will have a look and see what I can find. Thanks wymberly :good::oops: