How do you hit' em?

poorpeet

Chatting with the brother in law earlier. We both started shooting last year so not much experience. The thing is, on the clays and, in his case when rough shooting, we are consitantly poor on this type of target. Our local shoot has a high tower that throws a pair of clays across a clearing toward you at tree top height.

Now while we both seem to hit around 6 out of 10 on most of the other stands we only seem to get 2 or 3 on this one. It doesn't look like it should be causing a problem but clearly it is.

Any tips on getting to grips with this type of target?

Push though the target and give it some good lead , the speed of the target dictates the amount of lead.

You will rarely miss infront of a target be it bird or clay most shots are missed behind the target.

If you stand behind a gun and watch you can sometimes see the pattern miss clearly behind.

Good luck OTH

All good sound advice above. One thing I didn't see was follow through, be sure you do. Following through already fresh air (the lead) may not feel right at first but when you pull that trigger keep going. You obviously follow through to be getting 6 out of ten but on that high shot go further with your follow through. Exaggerate it untill you find the sweet spot. hth.

10 ft lead! I'm sure that I'm not giving it anything like that. I'll see if what feels like too much lead works on Sunday.

Cheers for all the advice lads.

Mind you once the clays start flying and the red mist decends i'm sure all my plans will go out the window. Again!

They can be hard for me too as I lose confidence when the barrels block the target. I find I have to block out the target and keep going as you pull the trigger just need to be confident. Well it works for me somtimes!

If you shoot with both eyes open and focus on the clay you should see 'through' the barrels and never lose sight of the target. If you 'block out' the clay then i would say you're either looking at the gun or maybe closing one eye?

Mmm poontang interesting observation I never knew that. Unfortunatly it doesn't really help me as although I shoot with both eyes open I don't see bifocally as I have two independent eyes. Sort of too squints means I can't park cars catch balls or judge distance real well. Basicaly I see mainly through one eye all the time although I can see mainly throught the other if I blink! I'll never be a great shot I guess! Thanks anyway. Will

Mmm poontang interesting observation I never knew that. Unfortunatly it doesn't really help me as although I shoot with both eyes open I don't see bifocally as I have two independent eyes. Sort of too squints means I can't park cars catch balls or judge distance real well. Basicaly I see mainly through one eye all the time although I can see mainly throught the other if I blink! I'll never be a great shot I guess! Thanks anyway. Will

I lost full use of my right eye so I've had to learn to shoot left handed/eyed.

I have to close my right eye otherwise I miss behind.

To swing through the bird from behind, cover it and then follow through, pulling the trigger at the same time works for me but, as has already been suggested, turning sideways means the bird is then a crosser makes it easier.

I can usually manage 60-70/100 shooting left handed now.

Hi,

Just another thought. Assuming right shoulder, mount the gun horizontally and note position of left hand on the fore-end.Dismount completely and re-mount vertically again noting position of left hand. If now your left hand is closer to you, you could be starting your mount in the horizontal grip and as you swing the gun up your left arm straightens and pulls the gun off the line of flight.

Cheers