red kite

aubs

Hi ,

I'm sure there's some keen falconers on here that will be able to help.

I was down the wood on saturday getting ready for this seasons shooting, we were just taking the second lot of pheasants down the farm track when a massive bird of prey flew across the path , over the field and upward, at first glance we thought it was a buzzard as we have a few in the area but after a better look it had a fan type tail and more pointed wings.We watched it for a while gaining height when another two birds came in sight, one the same , the other a buzzard.

The two starting mocking the buzzard which was much smaller and soon ******** off.

The three of us are almost sure they were red kites as the fan type tail is a bit of a give away......... I think.

I heard that about 30 pairs were released near Harrogate so it wouldn't be unusual to see some around S Yorks.

The one we saw close up was lightish brown in colour with a nearly white underside and that fan type tail.

It would make my day to think I have seen two kites, if anyone has any knowledge of this bird it would be much appreciated.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Aubs

I just had a look at some piccies on the gigrim farm site and they could have been red kites but these seemed lighter on the under side???

Edited by aubs

yep, sounds like you did!

We have quite a few round here (rutland/leicestershire) plus we have the ospreys at rutland water..

My dad wound up some Greenpeace people by saying he shot a large black and white crow near rutland water that had strange hooked beak, obviously he didnt really, but you should have seen their faces! :rolleyes:

Aubs

Some red kites were released from Harewood house , either early last year or the year before . A pair of red kites appeared on some of my permision late last year . This permission will be at least 20miles from Harewood . So i have no doubt that some managed to go south .

all the best yis yp :rolleyes:

Aubs,

Red Kites are 10 a Penny in the High Wycombe area, they have a very distinctive forked tail, and from your description, i'm pretty sure that's what you saw.

They are not particularly shy of humans, some even nest right in the middle of West Wycombe Shooting Ground, (now known as EJ Churchill), and they don't seem at all bothered by the gunfire or low flying aircraft taking off from nearby Booker airfield.

Apparently their favourite food is dead carrion, whereas Buzzards go for young live rabbits, so i'm told, so they don't compete for food.

Back in the middle ages they were the most common bird in Britain, with flocks like Starlings, people travelling towards London or other big cities knew when they were getting near because there were literally thousands of them above the towns in big dense flocks...then somebody invented the muzzle loader, and the population declined to near extinction...perhaps Cranfield can remember that far back and confirm my views...??

Double H. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :o :)

Hi

I think they must have been red kites then what a good dooooooo.

Another bonus is I've heard if they stay in the area the owls and sparrow hawks don't get on with them but they don't tend to bother pheasants and partridge too much.

Is this true??

Although in our shoot the main problem is good ole mr fox.

The pheasant pen has more electric wrapped round it than blackpool.

LOL

Cheers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aubs

Thanks for the replies, made my day.

ps yp purveyer of fine food, try the crab and lobster near thirsk ----- superb my man, fish pie of the very finest.

Aubs, you have described a red kite perfectly.

As HH said they are ten a penny round our way, we rarely see Kestrel's any more as a result, and it is right they only feed on carrion they are not killers. When they were released, rabbits were shot locally and left out for them to get them into fending for themselves.

They don't seem to stray too far from there release point which could become a problem, I have seen 6 working one very small field, so competition for food may become an issue.

We have walked up under a pair from behind and you can get really close they are not too shy, it is only then you realise how massive they are - fully grown they are much bigger than Buzzards even.