Decoys in trees

Royboy

This might sound like iam a tight ar*e but was wondering if theres a good way off getting decoys in to tall trees without lofting poles. Iam a bit skint and there about 60 quid a set. And ive just found out wich wood iam in for the febuary pigeon shoot.

Once i was told to use fishing line with a nut tighed on to it then fire the nut with a catapult into the trees . is this method anygood ? And would this wrk with a cane under the decoy to balance it in the tree :blink:

Get a long length of crab line ( twisted nylon ) . Tie a 6 oz fishing weight to the end and chuck over a high branch , letting the weight fall to the ground the other side of the branch. Then tie a full body pigeon decoy to the end and pull up like a flag . You must bring the decoy up to the branch so it does not twist about in the wind. secure the line to something solid to hold the decoy in place ( usualy a hedgerow twig. ). To get down at the end of the day untie the line and the weight will pull the decoy back to earth. It pays to attch the lead to the line with a swivel or loop so it can be removed before rewinding the line removing the risk of it being caught on the branch during the retrieve.

Cost about £3.00 without the decoy.

Get a long length of crab line ( twisted nylon ) . Tie a 6 oz fishing weight to the end and chuck over a high branch , letting the weight fall to the ground the other side of the branch. Then tie a full body pigeon decoy to the end and pull up like a flag . You must bring the decoy up to the branch so it does not twist about in the wind. secure the line to something solid to hold the decoy in place ( usualy a hedgerow twig. ). To get down at the end of the day untie the line and the weight will pull the decoy back to earth. It pays to attch the lead to the line with a swivel or loop so it can be removed before rewinding the line removing the risk of it being caught on the branch during the retrieve.

Cost about £3.00 without the decoy.

Arrr right i get ya. I was thinking of pulling it up with a g hook tighed to the end but then ive got to get it down at the end of the day. Unlees i shot it down !

Just be a bit careful about which branch you chouse. One with lots of small side twigs is asking for the line to get caught up on. Pick one up to 2 inches wide and in an obvious place where the pigeons will spot it , usually on the outside of the tree. I usualy use a couple of lines\decoys when decoying , but keep the lines out of your line of fire or you will do as I have done several times ..... shoot through the line.

Edited by anser2

Just be a bit careful about which branch you chouse. One with lots of small side twigs is asking for the line to get caught up on. Pick one up to 2 inches wide and in an obvious place where the pigeons will spot it , usually on the outside of the tree. I usualy use a couple of lines\decoys when decoying , but keep the lines out of your line of fire or you will do as I have done several times ..... shoot through the line.

I will be shooting in a wood so iam best puting the decoys to the outer trees ? I was going to put about 10 up so do you think that would be a bit tangaly ?

I use the fishing line and weight trick, but I throw the weight over the branches.

It does make more sense though to use a catapult, you can be a lot more accurate and get the line over the branch you want after a bit of practice; Throwing by hand does work but it is more luck than judgement which branch you hit....

I use th3 line method for putting a couple of lofter decoys into a sitty tree when shooting over deciys at ground level. To put up 10 in such a manner as you want in a wood would probably become a tangled mess Though you could place 4 decoys on a wooden cross and haule up as one. That would cut down the number of lines. Its sometimes works setting a pigeon magnet on the edge of a small wood ( on the ground ) as this will attract pigeons to your bit of wood.

Edited by anser2

I would not use bamboo they will be difficult to fix . As for decoys on the field , they will not have the movement of a magnet. I find a magnet set close to the woodland edge while I hide 30-40 yards into the wood attract the pigeons to land on the trees above it --- sometimes.

Edited by anser2

Telescopic fishing rod.

Not the thin £ land one though.

Look for white splats on the ground, you will have found the roost trees.

Find a high bush or low tree close by.

They will normally be very high in the roost trees but accept decoys close by, they will be cionfidence to land decoys.

Allso pigeon will snuggle into ivy covering tree trunks so if you find a good tree with ivy around the trunk you'll get away with decoys on the lower branches.

Have made some lofting poles out of sectional tent poles found at the local tip,they just slot into each other and go to a height of 4m,one of them i have taped the top of a coke bottle to as this makes it a lot easier to get em out of the trees :rolleyes:

For the actual lofter all i did was straighten two wire bucket handles,cut one in half and made a hook at one end,this then is taped to the full length one leaving enough above it to stick the pigeon on,to counter balance all i did was tape some lead 75 mm up from the bottom.

They work a treat :yes:

This might sound like iam a tight ar*e but was wondering if theres a good way off getting decoys in to tall trees without lofting poles. Iam a bit skint and there about 60 quid a set. And ive just found out wich wood iam in for the febuary pigeon shoot.

Once i was told to use fishing line with a nut tighed on to it then fire the nut with a catapult into the trees . is this method anygood ? And would this wrk with a cane under the decoy to balance it in the tree <_<

Works fine, I'm an arborist so use my throw lines allot like this, less to cary.

as long as you can get them in a convincing position not floating in space up in the tips is what you want..

ps if you go walking about on your plot remmber where they where, my god son shot his dads decoy last year... oh we still have not let up on that one yet...

Works fine, I'm an arborist so use my throw lines allot like this, less to cary.

as long as you can get them in a convincing position not floating in space up in the tips is what you want..

ps if you go walking about on your plot remmber where they where, my god son shot his dads decoy last year... oh we still have not let up on that one yet...

The thing is these trees are super high ! so might be gard getting them to the tip. But iam gona give it a good go. Cant wait roll on tomorrow !!! <_<