Advice FAC Air rifle

Stealth Stalker

Hi all

I,m after a bit of advice on which type of FAC air rifle you guys would reccomend

for use on bunnys, pigeon, crows etc.

I,ve got experiance of 12ft lbs and would like the extra power for the more wary bunnys that sit that bit further out.

I,d want a PCP with magazin, good shots to refill

Type of moderator? Scope?

Without wanting to start another debate .22 or .177?

Around £800 to spend.

Hope you can help

Cheers SS

AAS410 its a great gun but if you want more shots look at the theoben MK2 mines been set at 28ftlbs by Ben Taylor and i get a lot of shots per charge.

There are quite a few good FAC airrifles out there but at the end of the day its what takes your fancy. ???;);)

PS agree with LB you will get more shots with .22

Edited by hawkeye

S/S

What ever you go for my advice is make sure its factory prepared ,Alot of so called experts have ruined a good gun uprating it and if you intend buying second hand make sure you know the history.

AA S410XTRA FAC.22CAL .....32-35 ft lbs 35-50 shots (depends on pellet wieghts)

Price 4 yrs ago £465 unscoped .Leaves enough over for scope and accessories.

I sometimes shoot with the old man and he would gladly swap is Rapid MKII for mine any day of the week. ;) Don't know why ???;) (i can sense rapid users getting uptight :D:D )

If you don't mind me asking why the FAC AIR GUN and not the cheaper Rimfire? ;)

Ive

a second hand ben taylor mk1 rapid at 28ft/lb i think with reg about 70 shots with 19" barrel and bisley magnums .22 both have 12 and 7 shot mags

second hand mk2 rapid 30ft/lb 19" barrel 65 perfect shots .22 bis mag pellets

everything else has a low shot count at fac levels and IMO not suitable, unless you get a rws500+ or daystate air ranger second hand. tasty bit of kit and i may even change the rapid for one myself!

the BSAsuper10mk3 is a good gun but its a tad front heavy for me 10 shot mag!

scope will need to be decent mag range i prefer 6.5-20 its a simmons mag44 mil dot but everyone will have their own preference. go for a variable mag scope with decent mag for the longer shots! a 4x40 scope is ok and just useable for a 70yard bunny but a 10x40 makes the shot placement much easier.

silencer will have to be a good one,the vortex on the rapids is poo compared to the Ripley 9" what i have and have found it to be the quietest but there are good reports on the AWT silencer at the min.

HTH

Ive

Regarding the rimfire i would be interested but i,ve not got my FAC yet. 4 weeks

and i still have,nt heard from them. :<

The form was a bit daunting and not knowing what gun to go for i just put down a

35ft lb air rifle.

If & when they issue my FAC will i be able to go for a rimmy? I was under the

impression that they have different classes!

Cheers SS

S/S

I take it you only had the minimum amount of advice about filling the form in

because had you been adviced correctly you would had gone for rimfire as well . :D

Ask your landowner first if he will allow it though.and get his permission in writing if you can as this will be a big help.

Both guns have their places and if your land permits then a rimmy is probably the way forward. ;)

The only reason i have a FAC Air Gun is that Staffs Police won't allow use of a Rimfire on one of my permissions.Ricchochet is a huge problem with a rimmy so bear that in mind. ;) as it won't be suitable in all senarios.

Ring up your FLO find out if you can change your application with landowners permission and a reason for the rimmy re-submit your application .....You won't regret it in the long term ;)

Go for 1500 rds storage

1000 rds purchase in one go............You'll be wanting to stick to the same batch numbers :D

These guns go on the same ticket they are not different classes :D

Good Luck ???

Ive

Edited by deadeye ive

S.S

I have just recently applied for my FAC it took me quite some time to gather all the information i needed, to i hope impress FLO.

Before filling in the application i rang B.A.S.C for advice they were extremley helpfull, just to make me even more comfortable i arranged to see the firearms chap at weston park Mike Eveliegh, a very nice gent.Mike was more than helpfull. Worth joining B.A.S.C Just for the advice. He then mentioned that i should go and have a talk with another gent by the name of George Wallace, i could have listened to George for the entire afternoon brilliant gent and extremely helpfull and nows his stuff.

If your in B.A.S.C then i would certainly recomend a phone call it is well worth the advice. If your not a member then i would advise joining, your FLO will appreciate it.

All the best with your application,

like waiting for your exam results ???;)

heres a question for you fac airgun owners,

as your airgun becomes fac, do you then have to keep the projectiles or misiles(as plod would reffer to them) in a safe as you do rifle ammunition, as presumably this ammo now becomes fac ammo and therefore is subject to fac laws. or is it treated like a handloader has to with his bullets (in the litteral sense, not cartridge) in that it can be kept out of the safe as long as its not assemled?

just intrested, i am becoming more intrested in an fac airgun as the cheap mans way of getting a pcp airgun.

just dont know if it would get any use along side the rimfires and centerfires.

heres a question for you fac airgun owners,

as your airgun becomes fac, do you then have to keep the projectiles or misiles(as plod would reffer to them) in a safe as you do rifle ammunition

Nick

Simple answer is no you don't, Gun as to be kept in a safe though .

Only obtain one if you really need to as they could collect dust when put along side a rimmy ???

Ive

just intrested, i am becoming more intrested in an fac airgun as the cheap mans way of getting a pcp airgun.

not sure what you meant Nick cheap mans FAC ;)

there is no need to keep pellets locked up, but i always keep my pellets /cartridges ect locked in seperate cabinets, just for peace of mind. ;)

PCP FAC quite a bit more expensive than your standard rimy.

Horses for courses Nick ???

HV

yeh, but my point is that they are about half the price 2nd hand of a normal pcp of teh same model

this is of great appeal to me as im a skint so and so ???

it wont be doing the same job as the rimmy, becuase it cant compete for the rimmys job in my opinion, i want longer range than it can provide, becuase im greedy ;)

we shal see.

The only reason i have a FAC Air Gun is that Staffs Police won't allow use of a Rimfire on one of my permissions.Ricchochet is a huge problem with a rimmy so bear that in mind. ;) as it won't be suitable in all senarios.

Deadeye,

i was also in the same position as you. regarding some of my permish not being safe for a rimmy :D;)???

yeh, but my point is that they are about half the price 2nd hand of a normal pcp of teh same model

Nick

I will NEVER part with my particular FAC Air Gun and nor would i expect any body that is really pleased with theirs .

Just something to consider when buying second hand ;)

Digga

Have you had yours serviced at all ????;)?.Had mine done by AA themselves when the regulator valve started playing up .Best £90 i've ever spent :D

Ive

Nick

I will NEVER part with my particular FAC Air Gun and nor would i expect any body that is really pleased with theirs .

Just something to consider when buying second hand ;)

Digga

Have you had yours serviced at all ????;)?.Had mine done by AA themselves when the regulator valve started playing up .Best £90 i've ever spent :D

Ive

if you look on guntrader they do exist, and quite alot cheaper as well,

a toy to look at getting once i have all the centerfires and rimfires i want :D

Cheers Guys

Ive

I will call the FLO 2moro A: to chase up him up & B: to see how easy it will be to

re submit my application. I wish i,d have asked the question beforehand. :lol:

I dont really want to hold it up any longer than i have to. I,m getting an itchy trigger finger!

The AAs410 sounds like a great gun, my only concern is the amount of shots per charge!

High V

I have been thinking of joining one of the associations for the advice and insurance but have heard (on this forum I think) some conflicting reports? :lol:

Cheers for all the advive S.S.

I dont really want to hold it up any longer than i have to. I,m getting an itchy trigger finger!

S/S

No worries then if you decide to keep things as they are.

All that will happen is that in the near futre should you decide you want a rimmy then you'll have to apply for a variation on your license £30 approx and go through this process again (except for referees)...............and yes wait a few more weeks :lol:

My advice is be patient and try to get it out of the way now.......That is if its not too late :lol:

All air guns have powerbands/curves and sweet zones ,,,,,,its just a case of finding where this applies to your particular Air Gun of your choice :lol:

Cheers Ive :lol:

Ive

Had the FLO round today, very nice helpfull bloke, I mentioned about getting a rimmy, which he did'nt seem to have any problems with. Apart from the fact that I'd have to re-fill out all the forms & get my referees to fill out new forms.Which would hold things up further still. So I thought to just go ahead with the original application. With the view to put in for a variation at a later date. Only £26 I think?

Any way I met all his requirements and will be getting my FAC in due course. :thumbs: :sly:

Still have'nt decided on what gun yet.

Cheers for all the advice S.S