Thickening hedges

After our first season on a new shoot we have all sat down and decided what went well and what didnt.

Firstly the land is criss crossed with fairly overgrown hedges which are very tall and great for driving partridge over. However the bottoms of the hedges lack cover. What can we use to thicken out the hedge bottoms with permanatly? I have been looking for fern seed or bramble seed but cannot find any on the internet and am not sure if this would anger the farmer or not.

Secondly the cover crops failed to hold birds in any quantity. What is the difference between normal rape and fodder rape and have people had good results with fodder rape as a cover crop?

Thirdly there is a patch of overgrown ground which we would like to use for a drive. Would planting rhodedendrons in their help hold brids? If so does anyone have any experience of buying these the costs and how many you need for an area around 50 square metres?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. The land is in North Yorkshire so is fairly wet with heavy soil that likes to cling to boots.

Edited by fortune82

A few things which may help.

Firstly and most importantly is the CSS (countryside stewardship scheme) offers grants and aid for the management of hedgerows especially for the conservation of wildlife habitat,this's definately worth looking into with the landowner.

Secondly and especially for Partridge hedgerows should ideally be trimmed every other year.

The way I thickened the hedgerow bases on the shoot I used to keep was with a process known as "laying" you cut the hedge main branches near their bases but not right through and fold the break to ground level cut again and stick the break just into the topsoil 9 time out of 10 this will root and take without the hassle of brambles going mad everywhere,this's also an excellent way to bridge gaps in poorly maintained hedgerows.

if I were you I would definately be speaking to the farmer RE:Grants and aid for hedgerow management and cover strips as hiring a flail plus an operator don't come cheap.

Mike...

Sorry just noticed the bit about Rhododendrons DO NOT plant these anywhere they are a highly invasive species they literally poison the land they are in so nothing else will grow, and even if you think you've removed all trace ie killed off dug out burnt out whatever they will keep returning these DO have the potential to get you kicked off the land.

Mike...

Edited by Magus69

As mentioned before hedge lay them. They have been allowed to grow upwards and thats why you got the gaps at the bottom.

Get a billhook and do it yourself, you'll get the hang off it after a while. And take care around any Blackthorns there nasty.

You'll get some good advice on the BTCV website.

there's a National Hedgelaying Society - http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/

mate of mine is a member (and amazingly talented man at such things).

i'm sure they're worth investigating

See if Natural England are active in your area, I did a course with them last year here in Kent and very soon got the knack, its very easy once explained and shown, best of all it was free!!

As said Rhodos are a no no, highly toxic.

Good luck Rob.

Here's a link to winkpeida, all about rhododendrons,, read it carefully. some species are highly toxic, and can kill horses and cows within hour of them eating them!! We have tons of them in our estate gardens, and they can be a ****** to grow, they seem to favour alcaline based soils. recon they're a non starter matey. also witht the 'lay hedging', how high and close together are the existing hedgerows there?.. ideally each upright needs to be laid down at an angle of around 45 degrees, if it's all too closely planted, or too tall you won't be able to push it over when its spliced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...dging&go=Go

copy these into your brouser and have a butchers, good luck ! :rolleyes: