2.5 turbo desiel l/r

ditchman

Help !!!! got the problem the engine running away from me smoke imeem smmooookkke....think cracked piston pressurising crankcase............................QUESTION... "can i remove the pistons from the engine from underneath without dropping the crank, or do i really have the drain down the engine and remove the head " ??

regards

ditchman

Help !!!! got the problem the engine running away from me smoke imeem smmooookkke....think cracked piston pressurising crankcase............................QUESTION... "can i remove the pistons from the engine from underneath without dropping the crank, or do i really have the drain down the engine and remove the head " ??

regards

ditchman

seals gone in your turbo mate its running on its own engine oil fed in through the turbo mine did it once 1st gear low box it was a nightmare to stop it got the brakes a bit warm aswell ??????:angry: put a disco 200tdi in it shortly after they usualy go nuts after sitting ticking over for a while then first dab on the gas and it all goes a bit mental smoke knocking e.c.t.

i am afraid to tell you that the land rover 2.5 turbo diesel is not a great engine, they are prone to cracking in the block, would not be a huge job to change it for a 2.5na or a 2.5tdi if you can find a defender one for a good price, putting a disco engine is a bit more difficult,

What you really meant to say was "tough luck mate, that's the worst engine Land Rover ever made and not worth repairing". ???

You're right though, the 200tdi Defender should more or less drop in. You can squeeze the Disco version in but I'd go Defender.

regards

ditchman

GO TO THIS SITE THESE LADS WILL HELP YOU OUT AND THEY KNOW EVERY THING ABOUT DISCO,S www.landyzone.co.uk

seals gone in your turbo mate its running on its own engine oil fed in through the turbo mine did it once 1st gear low box it was a nightmare to stop it got the brakes a bit warm aswell :angry::good::yes: put a disco 200tdi in it shortly after they usualy go nuts after sitting ticking over for a while then first dab on the gas and it all goes a bit mental smoke knocking e.c.t.

I'd agree, rule the above out by disconecting the inlet manifold hose between the turbo and the inlet manifold and then give it a run.

If the turbo seals are goosed it'll throw oil out, run on and smoke like you not seen before :P:yes:???

Disco/90/110 200tdi is the dogs dangles for the job, well worth the effort ???

yep running on it's own oil. proably turbo gone as said before. it maybe worth seeing if you can get a cheap turbo to replace it but with second ahnd parts you nevere know what you are going to get.

i've got a 1985 lr 90 was a 2.5 petrol now a defender 200tdi engine. the defender 200 is a straight swap but you pay a bit more for a defender angine. a disco 200 is nearly a straight swap abit bit of messing around with the exhaust but you can pick up a mot failure dico for a few quid then break it down sell any bits you don't need ie axles garebox then scrap the shell and you end up getting a free engine.

cheers lister.

I see your in Norfolk.

As others have said, it running on it own oil, which is quite common with that particular engine.

my advice would be to put a 200tdi engine in it you wont regret it, once done

Try this guy, his name is richard, very good and reasonable, he can supply and fit the engine, or may be able to help you out with the old one

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/

Andy