More rabbits today

old rooster

Don't sell to a game dealer cos I've only been shooting and ferreting for 40 years so couldn't be expected to know an edible rabbit from a dodgy one ??? Anyway it ain't worth the drive for 50p per rabbit. NONE ARE WASTED they are given to others who like eating them or to one of my farmers who feeds them to his dogs.

I don't have a vendetta towards the rabbits but do need to clear them properly from wherever they are or I won't get asked back again. One of the gardens I've been sorting has produced over 70 rabbits this season to the air rifle and latterly the ferrets, had 22 from one bury last week !!. Haven't seen small young un's there since early season, fortunately no mixxy either. I've a theory that they've been left alone for a long time and have few if any new rabbits joining their colony to bring in the fleas that carry mixxy. Maybe being left to their own devices leads to some level of natural birth rate which explains the lack of young in the late summer and Autumn. I think it's all interesting stuff but don't expect you all to agree necessarily, I just feel that an understanding of your quarries lifestyle can benefit the hunter.

Most of the rabbits we've been getting have been lovely first year jobbies, nice and tender, with a few tough old bucks thrown in for good measure. Freezer is now full of bunny burgers from the recent forays.

Rooster,

I quite often get a few bunnies and was going to try making burger but - how do you get the meat off the bone? Do you need to part cook them then flake it off or is it just a fiddly job with a knife?

Pike

I skin the rabbit, cut off the back legs and remove the meat from them, throw bones away. Remove meat from the rabbits back either side of the backbone from haunches up to the shoulder blades and you've got the main chunks from your bunny. If they are young rabbits the meat off the back should come away easilyy from the second skin layer, you may need to cut this from tougher, older rabbits. Should take about 5 minutes per rabbit.

Wouldn't try part cooking if you intend freezing the burgers afterwards.

My recipe is to mince the bunny meat and mix with some minced streaky bacon, put in some finely chopped fresh sage and finely chopped cooked shallots (leave the shallots to cool before adding to the other ingredients) Mix well and form into burgers, not too thick or you will find it difficult to cook them through to the middle without overcooking the outsides.

Great recipe if you substitute the minced bunny with minced pigeon breast meat.

Have fun !!!