help needed

ronttuk

ive got a farm to shoot on i also belong to a club with over 30 farms to shoot on but i never get big bags of pigeons,

so is there an experience pigeon shooter out there who can come with me and show me where im going wrong ive been shooting pigeons for nearly a year but the most ive ever had is 14 im ok shooting rabbits,ducks foxes etc but the misterious wood pigeon eludes me !!

so if you really know your stuff and want a free days pigeon shooting please get in touch,

ive got a magnet and decoys hide poles and camo nets everything except poxy pigeons so come on guys one of you must want a free days pigeon shooting and show me where im going wrong.

all my shoots are in south east essex hope to hear from one of the experts i can shoot in the week or sundays the only day i cant do is saturday

Ron, are you doing your homework regarding flightlines, entrances to the fields they feed, roosting area's?

If your seeing lots of woodies but missing I can almost guarentee you that you are not giving them enough lead.

If I go out for a few hours shooting I am happy with a dozen or so pigeons but normally get less!!!!

LB

i hit most of the ones who get in range yesterday i set up right under a flight line with feeding pigeons about 150yds away but still not many came to my decoys ive tried i the past several different types of pattern about the only thing i havent managed to do is use real pigeons as decoys cause i cant get enough of them!!!

You say that there were feeding pigeons "150 yards away".

I assume they were that far into the field and you couldn't get a hide near them.

If that was the case and you found the main direction they were entering the field, set up there and you should have been able to interest them in your decoys.

Check your hide build first, cover your face and hands, perhaps the birds are spotting you.

Read some of the posts on decoy layouts (use the Search facility), they will help.

As LB says, don't expect to shoot 100 birds a trip, if you break into double figures on some days, thats considered lucky. :lol:

deny essex,there are loads of members in my club but theres no social side so you never get to meet other members its a very funny club ill not mention it by name but they have some strange rules like only 2 guns per farm even if one is so big it would take you all day to cover every field.

once you have completed your trails you are left to your own means.

if you have time and want to go out for a days shooting pm me ill give you my phone number thanks ron

cranfield the pigeons were flying between a gap of trees in the field i set up right under the flight line but still to no avail i know i must be doing sumthing wrong but i cant suss it out

Maybe not Ron, if they are hell bent on going somewhere.

Spend a day or two hidden up and watch how they enter and leave feeding areas. This is a worthwhile task and will pay dividends in the future.

I assume you have crops being drilled at the moment don't you?

LB

Don`t want to keep flogging this but USE REAL PIGEONS!!! Rotaries can be counter productive is some circumstances so I suggest you use your binos to suss out where the pigeons enter the field and watch them for a long time. They will land into the wind most of the time, this includes into trees, so you can verify the wind direction. Be careful which direction you point your decoy pigeons, facing the wind. The ubiquitous horseshoe pattern generally works and don`t forget the three rules: Pigeons need space to land, to see their mates around them and space to get out of trouble.

Try to get things on your side if you can and this means wind and sun at your back. Can`t always do it but this can be an ideal situation. Sun in your eyes and pigeons coming over your hide from the rear can make for an uncomfortable day with pigeons spotting you as they approach. Once you have made your hide establish some in-hide discipline. Put your kit in the same place every time so that you can reach cartridges etc. with ease. Given that you have a reasonable pattern watch every bird as they approach and if they land you have got it right. Anything else and you must try blaming yourself. Stay behind the netting at all times unless you have a bird on its back or in an awkward position, and only leave the hide if a bird veers away. Leave the rotary in your vehicle just in case this is putting them off. Rotaries are not all things to all men and should not be used as a short cut and magic wand to give you a good day`s decoying. Try learning the ropes first!!

If you were nearer to Northants I`d be only too pleased to help out and wouldn`t even bring my gun. Come on lads surely there is someone close by who can help??

Ron

I think the key is in the hide, if you can get some netting over the top of you it makes a big difference. Also get into position once the pigeon has commited to its landing you will notice the change in wing beat. I shoot with an airrifle so i have to get them to land and stay around long enough to shoot them. Which really hones your field craft skills.

ive got a farm to shoot on i also belong to a club with over 30 farms to shoot on but i never get big bags of pigeons,

so is there an experience pigeon shooter out there who can come with me and show me where im going wrong ive been shooting pigeons for nearly a year but the most ive ever had is 14 im ok shooting rabbits,ducks foxes etc but the misterious wood pigeon eludes me !!

so if you really know your stuff and want a free days pigeon shooting please get in touch,

ive got a magnet and decoys hide poles and camo nets everything except poxy pigeons so come on guys one of you must want a free days pigeon shooting and show me where im going wrong.

all my shoots are in south east essex hope to hear from one of the experts i can shoot in the week or sundays the only day i cant do is saturday

ronttuk

First thing you might be doing wrong is expecting a days pigeon shooting to be really successful without the other day, the first day or even two, recce ing your permissions.

First you gotta find your pigeons and that takes more time than shooting them.

Secondly don't take everything you read/see on here as the norm. All those pics of large bags etc etc are NOT the norm, they're the exception.

Most guys I meet/talk with who shoot pigeons on a regular basis would consider say 20 plus birds a good day. Certainly you'll have more days like that than anything else. BUT think yourself lucky...game/pheasant shooters pay around £500 for a 20 bird day :lol:

Since my last post I`ve had a thought. :lol: You say you`re in a club and that the rules only allow two guns per farm. :lol: I`m wondering if these farms are suffering from over shooting?? :lol: This might explain pigeons 150 yards away plus their reluctance to come in to decoys. :lol: