Any "his & hers" shooting couples?

Marc M

Hi,

I've got a question about the SGC forms I have and wondered if anyone had been in the same situation themselves?

Are there any husband and wife, or couples, shooters out there who both shoot shotguns but keep both their guns in the same cabinet?

I don't know what to do, I tried phoning Lancs Firearms team but the lady I spoke to confused me more than I was already. Both the missus and I intend to put in for our SGC's, which, if I am correct, will legally allow us both to separately purchase, and transport shotgun(s) from shooting grounds to home. We would only have one cabinet to store the guns in however.

So, do we both need our own SGC's? Or do we just need the one, in my name (I'll try to explain this later)? I'm not sure where the law stands here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've read up about how you need to make sure your gun fits you in order to shoot it well, and there isn't much chance of the same gun fitting us both given that I'm 6'2" and she's only diddy, 5'3" to be precise, so we'd definitely need a gun each.

Now, could I buy a gun for Stacey to use and have it on my SGC, where only I can transport it from the cabinet to the clay ground or is that breaking the law?

We would both shoot clays together so there would never be a need for Stace to access the cabinet without me, nor take the guns anywhere herself. Conversely, there is every possiblity that I WOULD go shooting on my own, be it clays or hopefully when I'm good enough and lucky enough to gain some suitable land, rough shooting for pigeons and rabbits?

So do we both need our own seperate SGC's, and if so, how do we combat the issue of who holds the key to the joint cabinet, or can it legally be done with just one SGC in my name?

Wouldn't want to fall foul of the law.

Sorry the post rambles on a bit but I'm confused as hell and just want some light shedding if at all possible.

Many thanks,

Marc M :lol:

Marc,

Just going through the same thing with Mrs Browning. She's been using my shotguns for clays, but for walking the fields she'll need to have her own cert.

My FLO advised us to put all shotguns on both certs, so she can use any of them at any time.

No need to have seperate gun cabinets, as long as you only have shotguns.

The problem only arises if you also have a firearms cert, in which case you would need seperate gun cabinets as your wife would not be allowed access to your rifles etc.

Marc,

Just going through the same thing with Mrs Browning. She's been using my shotguns for clays, but for walking the fields she'll need to have her own cert.

Cheers for the quick reply :lol: Friendly bunch, aren't you!

Do I take it from your reply that it WOULD be legal, for example, for my other half to use guns at the clay ground that belonged to me, where on my cert, and as long as I was there too? Even if they were purchased "for her", ie fitted for her use, not mine? (Back to the size difference again, I'm not sure I understand gun fit, I appreciate reach to trigger etc has a bearing but other than that I'm still learning).

If so that may be the answer for us as it WOULD be just for shotguns, we don't intend shooting FAC rifles (...yet :lol:)

There would never be a requirement for Stace to shoot a shotgun over rough ground. I should know, she moans enough as it is about me hunting and wouldn't ever want to have a go herself. Obviously if that view changed, and I'm working on it bit by bit, we could apply for her cert as and when?

Thanks again for the reply.

Marc

Marc, you must only be a few miles from Kelbrook Shooting Lodge, I was there a couple of months ago, it is a great place in good surroundings, have you shot clays there ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, you're right, the Kelbrook Lodge is only 10 minutes drive away if that. No, I've never shot there before but I've known about it's existence for years. Is it not owned by Graham Kelly, of Graham Engineering Ltd who lives on an estate in Salterforth? I went to uni with his daughter, Kelly, and seem to remember her saying her father had something to do with the lodge there. I know her brother Aaron used to shoot game on the estate years ago.

To be honest I'd heard it was a bit cliquey (sp)? I'm not one for aires and graces and wouldn't feel comfortable if it was.

What were your experiences there?

Marc

Hi,

I too have a similar position, the wife has her own SGC and owns 1 Shotgun that fits her, I have 3 that are for me and one that fits my eldest boy, which means these 4 are on my SGC. These are all kept in the same cab, and neither my wife or the boy know where the keys are kept nor do they need or take them out with out me.

Also one thing that can also be done is to lock the guns in the cab with a chain. The Shotties are chained inside the cab where as the air rifle is just locked up in there.

Hope this helps

Trev

Cheers for all the replies lads, understanding what other "real-life" shooters have done in similar circumstances has gone a long way to clearing things up for me. What I gleen from all the above help is that it's probably prudent for us both to get our own cert's, and to list all shotguns we buy on each others forms to avoid issues over access to the cabinet?

Is that about the crux of it?

Thanks, Marc :thumbs:

Cheers for all the replies lads, understanding what other "real-life" shooters have done in similar circumstances has gone a long way to clearing things up for me. What I gleen from all the above help is that it's probably prudent for us both to get our own cert's, and to list all shotguns we buy on each others forms to avoid issues over access to the cabinet?

Is that about the crux of it?

Thanks, Marc :thumbs:

That's how I see it Marc.

2 certs 1 cabinet should be fine.

The law is simple lol you dont need a cert to fire a shot gun on a clay ground but you do to fire at game.

dave

The law doesn't state that anywhere I have seen Dave. In fact I confirmed that you don't need a cert to shoot game and vermin with my FLEO a few weeks ago.

I think different police forces interpret the law in different ways.

Bill