house insurance claim????

tweedledee

guys i had a major oopsy this evening.i was painting a radiator in my hall this evening.the phone rang and i left the radiator paint on a small set of steps in the front hall and took the call in the back garden.during the call the front doorbell rang and my excellent guard dog ran through into the front hall and knocked the tin of paint flying.i have a big front hall approx 34 sq yds.i have wooden floor down ,it` about 10 years old and i`ll never get anything to match it.i have tried cleaning but i cant see it being a total success.i am considering chasing up my house insurance as i have paid into it for over 10 years and never made a claim.does anyone know how to make a claim and what way the insurance company would deal with this.i reckon it will take a small fortune to re lay another floor.p.s i felt like shooting the dog but i suppose thats why i got her.to keep an eye on the house and let me know when someone is about.

We just put a claim in for a new tv and checked the wording in there. Accidental pet damage is NOT covered.

What paint is it? Water or oil based? Is the floor oiled, varnished or stained? You need to get up what you can asap obviously. If it's water based clean the residue up with some warm soapy water. If it's oil based try some white spirit on a cloth and see how it comes up. If it is into the grain though they may try 'bleaching' the floor depending on how much it costs a local contractor to do.

As honest as your accident may be though, 'I knocked some paint over' is one of the biggest claims for new carpets and decoration. Most of the ones we go out to are that or 'I left a candle lit and it burn't the wall/curtains etc'. Be careful what you tell them before you check your policy. :good:

Hi pal, I've recently set up an insurance claims consultancy to help people whose claims have been turned down, amongst an endless list of other claims/policy issues.

I'd happily advise you pro bono if you need it. Pm me if needed. I may actually do this for all PW members, or at reduced rates.

I used to be a manager of a builders who did insurance loss through a management company on behalf of insurance companies,what a PAIN,every detail had to be recorded in every file,no matter how big or small,if client wanted the earth and made enough fuss and we didnt give it they would complain to the insurance company who would jump on the management company who would visit client and usually tell us to get it sorted.

We were supposed to collect any excess on the policy,most clients wouldnt pay it,so we just went without or we would loose contract.The louder a client made a fuss the more every body ran about to keep em happy.

I found whilst doing the site survey,that an honest claim was glad to see you and only wanted damage corrected,the others wanted more,upgrades,other thing done as well,and when you got there they would want compensation because you scared there cat or such like.

So glad i dont do that any more.

firstly make sure accidental damage is covered, then check the terms about pet damage - i know youre just saying it was the dog so we dont laugh at you for being a clumsy eejit... :good:

check out how much it would be first though, as making a claim will knock out your no claims bonus (yes, you do get it on house insurance) and will probably knock your premium up a hell of a lot, esp the way things are at the moment :good:

send me a pm mate, let me know who ur with, might be able to help if its a certain one... :good: