Magpie Problems

hi my uncle owns a farm, he has many different animals including around 200 chickens. He has asked me to shoot the magpies which are constantly taking eggs and have now become quite a problem. So i was just wondering which is the best way to go about dispatching them? I have both a shotgun and an air arms s400 .177. Should I use a hide? Do I need to try and attract them in with something? I know you have to be very patient as they are very inteeligent so i was just looking for some advice. Many thanks adam.

If you decide to try to shoot them be warned, you need to be well hidden. You would be surprised at how intelligent magpies can be. I have seen them ingore someone walking with a stick yet the same birds flew off straight away when they saw the same person with a gun! If you are decoying and shooting good concealment is the only answer!

Guest Callum.

My Grandad on his farm used to do something with the crows,not sure about magpies though.

Watch and find where they go to nest and make sure nothing else is in there you don't want shot and in the evening go and shoot the nests.

Do this also where they have eggs there and get rid of the little ******* before there is more about!

They will be in the nests so just a shot with shotgun and goodbye mr magpie and eggs

Make sure you post up how you get along!

Regards

Callum.

My Grandad on his farm used to do something with the crows,not sure about magpies though.

Watch and find where they go to nest and make sure nothing else is in there you don't want shot and in the evening go and shoot the nests.

Do this also where they have eggs there and get rid of the little ******* before there is more about!

They will be in the nests so just a shot with shotgun and goodbye mr magpie and eggs

Make sure you post up how you get along!

Regards

Callum.

good idea in theroy BUT BE WARNED as it was pointed out to me when shooting into drays :good: you dont know what is in them eg OWLS, birds of prey etc so maybe lofting poles would be a better idea ??? get someone to give the nest a poke when the magpie flies out shoot it .....just a suggestion but it saves alot of trouble in the long run .........

Never heard of the egg idea might give that a bash later let you know how i get on ???

ive had good success using a larsen trap, the hardest part is catching your first bird, once hes in the rest will come to his distress call, i usually make a nest out of hey with 3 eggs in each side of the trap, one is broken, and extra broken shell on the top of the trap and on the floor, its worked for me..one day i was woken up to the sound of around a dozen magpies in a tree around 20yds away from the bedroom window, the trap was next to that tree with a magpie in it from the day before..they wouldnt go close to the trap, but where literally looking down on it, i literally had to take my pick..try placing one close to a tree where you can comfortably shoot from 25yds away..another way to get em in, is just shoot one but dont kill it, itl call out in the same way...

..oh and remember to give em water and scraps if your gonna keep one in the trap!!

good luck

one other trick is magpies and crows can not count

fro this you need 2 people one in camouflage the other in normal clothes both of you walk to the wood only one comes back for some reason the magpies will see you come back but not realise some one else is concealed in the wood

they fly straight back to the woods

i thought you could only use a recording for luring them in for photography purposes, not shooting ?

Correct.

However baiting them to shoot them is illegal also.

The point is this, we all do these things, just don't tell anyone via your mouth how you enticed the magpies/crows in to be shot. Otherwise you may get into trouble.

What I do is keep a dead magpie or two in the freezer. They are very territorial especially at this time of year (spring) & they cannot help going to look at an even obviously dead magpie. I have even been succesful with just a magpies wing lying on the ground, they go mad hovering a feet over the wing on the ground, chattering madly at it.

Consider this, use two mobile phones, one with the ring tone of a magpies call (easily obtain over the Internet or from a bird song/call CD). Leave one phone by the decoy in the field & call the phone every so often or when another magpie is heard or seen.

Once the young are flying as a group these are easier to entice than the street wise adults.

However keep well hidden & covered up & only move at the last minute to get your shot off.

Happy hunting

Edited by bagpuss

i thought you could only use a recording for luring them in for photography purposes, not shooting ?

Correct.

However baiting them to shoot them is illegal also.

The point is this, we all do these things, just don't tell anyone via your mouth how you enticed the magpies/crows in to be shot. Otherwise you may get into trouble.

What I do is keep a dead magpie or two in the freezer. They are very territorial especially at this time of year (spring) & they cannot help going to look at an even obviously dead magpie. I have even been succesful with just a magpies wing lying on the ground, they go mad hovering a feet over the wing on the ground, chattering madly at it.

Consider this, use two mobile phones, one with the ring tone of a magpies call (easily obtain over the Internet or from a bird song/call CD). Leave one phone by the decoy in the field & call the phone every so often or when another magpie is heard or seen.

Once the young are flying as a group these are easier to entice than the street wise adults.

However keep well hidden & covered up & only move at the last minute to get your shot off.

Happy hunting

Edited by bagpuss