Help Diagnosing Fiesta Fault

fortune82

My girlfriend has an 04 Fiesta which has been the most unreliable car I have ever come across! At the moment it is making a flapping / ticking noise when you reach 40 - 50 MPH. The noise subsides slightly when you dip the clutch. Revving the engine has no effect on it. The car has done 54K miles and is serviced regularly. My thoughts are that it is something to do with the clutch.

Any ideas or whether it is something to be concerned about before I take it to the garage?

Thanks

My girlfriend has an 04 Fiesta which has been the most unreliable car I have ever come across! At the moment it is making a flapping / ticking noise when you reach 40 - 50 MPH. The noise subsides slightly when you dip the clutch. Revving the engine has no effect on it. The car has done 54K miles and is serviced regularly. My thoughts are that it is something to do with the clutch.

Any ideas or whether it is something to be concerned about before I take it to the garage?

Thanks

Yup. Its a Ford. theres your problem. :good:

i bought a brand new c-max a few years ago. in the 12 months i had it, it spent 9 months in the garage being fixed and waiting for parts. dealship was the worst for customer service i have ever known. spoke to the owner and even he didnt give a monkeys. i wouldnt have a ford again even if it was free. please get rid of it for what you can and buy a jap car.

:good: It could be just about anything from a nail or stone stuck in a tyre, a gator clip catching, a worn speedo drive / cable / head, a brake disc through to a driveshaft cv joint

Where does the sound come from, what does it sound like, how often is it 'ticking', does it do it under load, on overrun, free wheeling, going round corners, does the ticking increase with road speed or engine speed

It only does it when the car is travelling at speeds of 40 - 50 MPH. Engine speed has no effect on it. When you dip the clutch it subsides slightly but not totally. Revving the car with clutch dipped has no effect on it. I have checked the tyres and they are all fine. The sump gaurd / plastic stuff is all secure. The dipping clutch having an effect makes me think it is something to do with the clutch or clutch housing.