silenced shotguns

darren m

Darren, I have a 12 bore hushpower, good with subsonic carts, it has served its purpose with me now, if you are interested I would sell it for about £160 :)

The problem with .410's I found is the lack of subsonic carts, not only that but the range and the fact that 24 grams of shot is I reckon gonna be better than 11 grams of shot in the target area :lol:

.410's have their uses though and recently I got a couple of second world war rifles converted to .410. Bloody lovely little calibre :lol:

topmantim

I have been promised some more Rabbit permissions for the spring and have been using an Air Arms air riffle but fancy the 410 shot gun with moderator for the job, sounds like the dogs from what you are saying, £160 fantastic how did you drop on that one, and how much you paying for a box of carts?

pavman

hi pavman a local gun dealer found it for me. the shell cost me £3.50 a box. Its a great little tool.I also us a air arms for lamping, but after using the 410 my AA will be staying at home a bit more.My mate who shoots with me was so impressed with it, hes on the look out for one.My opinion is if you find one by it there great

Darren, I have a 12 bore hushpower, good with subsonic carts, it has served its purpose with me now, if you are interested I would sell it for about £160 B)

The problem with .410's I found is the lack of subsonic carts, not only that but the range and the fact that 24 grams of shot is I reckon gonna be better than 11 grams of shot in the target area :lol:

.410's have their uses though and recently I got a couple of second world war rifles converted to .410. Bloody lovely little calibre :lol:

Rarms,

I hadn't heard of converting old rifles to .410. Do you have any more info on this?

Who converts the old rifles or sells old converted rifles?

The reason I am asking is that I am fairly new to shotguns, but more familiar with rifles, so the idea of a shotgun that handles like a rifle appeals to me and I imagine that they arent too expensive to buy?

PS sorry for straying off the original topic.

most gun shops round here have or can get, I am picking up a 12 bore mossberg bolt action at the weekend B)

Bear in mind most bolt action shotties are single shot, some have mags but the mags are not removable on sec 2 shotties so they are a pain to load.

In general if you want something like a bolt action get a nice semi. Single shot bolt action shotguns dont have much practical use. I have two and only really have them as historical pieces, they are not real hunting tools. Sure I shoot things with them but in the time it takes to load, fire and extract the cart I can shoot off all three shots from my semi and probably start reloading it.

.410 shotties are in my eyes only of use for short range squirrels and rabbits. I have enough trouble hitting flying things with a 12 bore let alone a .410.

Calibre aside the main gripe I have about converted guns is that the rifles used pointed bullets which means when chambering a round the point finds the hole and guides itself in, bit like trying to push a pencil into a drainpipe.

When they are converted the .410 shell is obviously not pointed and now you are trying to puch a drainpipe into a push fit connector. Much harder to get them lined up. Consequently it takes longer to load as you need to thumb the round into the actual breech rather than just pop it in the port and close the bolt.

If you are interested I will let you know about the Mossberg when I get it as this was made as a 12bore bolt action so should be reasonable.

Kyle