Which is the most powerful caliber?

Thanks Browning

I am thinking of getting another rifle. mainly for Deer, but also for fox. I have a .243, but want something 'bigger'. I was told by my FEO today that I could apply, and get, a .270, or 6.5x55. He said that the latter was preferred by most people he knew, but I want views/comments from others.

Thanks

Steve.

Personally I preferred my .270 to the 6.5x55, for pure 'knock down' energy on hill Reds, it also gave bags of confidence on the

longer shots that we had to take. (Not as 'loopy' as the 6.5x55).

No doubt at all the 6.5x55 will do the job, and no doubt there will be many 6.5x55 owners will tell you they are the best, but

as an owner and shooter of both, I preferred my .270.

Most of my stalking now is Fallow, and I don't get to do much on the Reds, so my stalking caliber of choice now is the .260Rem,

much smoother than the .270, amazingly accurate, and gives me 2853 fps and 2330ME with a 130gn bullet.

Hmmm what about the 50 calibre :blush::oops::hmm:

far left of photo 22 LR on far right

50cal.jpg

Les :lol:

Phwoar Lez..... I have it on good authority that there is a range in England proofed for .50BMG and that there is a 50 cal owners club. You can get a slot on your ticket for one over here, so you CAN have a Barrett M50 but obviously you can't have the semi auto version! :o be interesting to hear what your FEO has to say when you tell him you might also use it for a bit of squirrel bashing :yp:

Edited by Vipa

Thanks for all the replies. I've taken on board what has been said. I'm putting in for a .270. Incidently, has anyone got a .270 just for fox, or have you got deer on it as well.

My FEO said that if I put deer for it's use, then there would be no problem to use it on fox, even on ground where there are no deer. This is what I'm looking for.

Steve.

Have you considered 12 bore Brenneke rifled slugs?

2 3/4 " cartridge 1 1/4 ounce load.

Muzzle velocity 1476 feet/second

Muzzle energy 2538 foot pounds

Energy at 100 yards 1170 foot pounds

You could be the only kid on the block that's got one. Go on, you know you want to

LOL Bill

Thanks for all the replies. I've taken on board what has been said. I'm putting in for a .270. Incidently, has anyone got a .270 just for fox, or have you got deer on it as well.

My FEO said that if I put deer for it's use, then there would be no problem to use it on fox, even on ground where there are no deer. This is what I'm looking for.

Steve.

I've got mine for fox (And rabbits :) ), but it's listed for deer too, but it's doubtful I'll ever get round to taking it stalking.

It's not actually that messy. I'm sure you'll know how messy your 22-250 can be and it's not even close. What's also funny, is that as loud as it is (moderated) from about 200 yards away, it's actually pretty quiet (ask Garyb) he heard me shoot a fox and he was surprised at how quiet it was.

If you're ever round my neck of the woods, you're welcome to shoot mine :good:

Oh and don't forget a sound mod for it. Not for the sake of the *bang* but for the sake of your shoulder! Mine was in agony after 5 rounds of zeroing until I put a reflex mod on it!

Phwoar Lez..... I have it on good authority that there is a range in England proofed for .50BMG and that there is a 50 cal owners club. You can get a slot on your ticket for one over here, so you CAN have a Barrett M50 but obviously you can't have the semi auto version! :sly: be interesting to hear what your FEO has to say when you tell him you might also use it for a bit of squirrel bashing :rolleyes:

Its called the FCSA http://www.fcsa.co.uk/ . It's a great club and loads of information on the website. Ranges you can regularly shoot .50BMG at include, Lydd, Sennybridge & Warcop. They are strictly for target/range use in this country.