Hunting Swiss style

white fox

Another member asked me to put some words about my recent trip

I was lucky enough to be invited for a weekend hunt in the high hills (~4000ft) above Lake Thun between Thun and Interlaken. It is a little different in Switzerland, it takes a couple of years to get your hunting licence, once done you can shoot anywhere, land owners have no say, the only thing is if another hunter arrives at your desired spot before you, then you find somewhere else. We were also walking through peoples gardens with guns in our early morning search, can’t imagine that in the UK. I was given a guest licence.

The hunting day turned out to be some 14 hours, in three different phases, firstly in position with rifles before dawn, then at full morning light switching to beating with 12g shotguns with No1 (4mm) shot, and ending again with rifles at dusk.

The hunt with shotguns was similar to our pheasant drive but with only two beaters walking relatively quietly through a smallish wood, the idea is the deer walk (not run) out of the wood to the next nearest wood, guns are placed in this second wood or edge of the first wood. This drive could be repeated 4 times if the deer just turn and do not move forward. By mid afternoon we had our first doe.

Before dusk we positioned ourselves with rifles on another grassy hill and waited for the deer to come out of a valley forest up to our grassy slope, the tracks were clear they were doing this regularly, and on queue as light fell a second doe was taken.

A lot of walking, felt like I walked up to Snowdon summit at least three times during the day. Big celebrations that evening; liver, heart and kidneys with rosti spuds and schnapps.

They hunt each Saturday, Monday and Wednesday through the short season, we saw many hunters about each day, on the Monday we didn’t get a clean shot opportunity, so retired for lunch when the local gamekeeper came by. He is nothing like our gamekeeper being employed by the government with much the same powers as a policeman. One of five hunters close by, had the misfortune to wound a buck. It is the law to call the gamekeeper, who with his dog will track the wounded animal, in this case his dog failed and he called a second gamekeeper with a more experienced dog, we were put in position to take the wounded buck if it was not pursued by the dog, however the animal was never found.

Not sure if this was a wind-up but was told of a ritual one has to do when taking your first buck, anyone an idea what it could be? (It might be the same here, I don’t know)

The Swiss have some interesting combination rifle/shotguns, some two barrel and some three barrels.

Anyway, a fantastic two days up in the mountains, never to be forgotten.

WF

post-11-1130191846.jpg

I was in Switzerland for just over a week 2 summers ago. I fell in love with the place, it's just such a beautiful country, the cities are clean and the gun laws are great. If this country is screwed up any more I'm going to try and move there.

BTW I stayed in the Torgon area, quite near Geneva. Where abouts were you?

I was in Switzerland for just over a week 2 summers ago. I fell in love with the place, it's just such a beautiful country, the cities are clean and the gun laws are great. If this country is screwed up any more I'm going to try and move there.

BTW I stayed in the Torgon area, quite near Geneva. Where abouts were you?

You will have to learn the language Whippet and stick to the speed limits. All in all, not too much to ask for 'eh?

LB

I am going out to Switzerland next year for 2 weeks (walking though - not shooting unfortunately)

I wont be too far from where you were (I am going to Kandersteg which is only a short ride away)

It is a beautiful part of the world.

As for the ritual - not a clue - do you insert something somewhere? :D