Gaming geeks, this one is for you

ME

I got my PS3 slim from GAME £250, it's the 120 Gb model - you can get 250 Gb for I think an extra £20 but you don't really need it unless you're planning to fill it up with movies/music etc.

You only get one controller with them though so if ME jr's got some mates you might want another, just had a look and they're about another £40! :welcomeani:

If you're going to be using it on an HDTV then you'll also need a HDMI cable, if I remember correctly they don't come with the PS3 but best ask them at shop (the decent ones are about £20, you don't need a top of the range one).

Edited by Shuck.

Dont do it, he'll waste his life on it. Get him something worthwhile.

ME jnr is a very sociable, intelligent and sensible lad and has good parents, he wont be wasting his life on a Playstation.

He has worked hard at school and his efforts are being rewarded. (he is top of his year and he is working at the level of kids in the year above).

-----

Any other suggestions about which one is best and where to buy please ?

If he's not fussed about which model he's getting, you can pick up one which isn't the 'slim' version for a bit cheaper. I think your best bet is eBay. You usually get bundles etc for much lower than what you find on the highstreet, as sellers on eBay are pushed and pushed to lower their margins to draw people in for a bargain.

If he's been an extra special boy, get him a projector too :hmm: The new Optoma DW318 is a little gem for its price. It's the new "3D ready" so when all the 3d films start getting released or Sky HD, you'll be able to watch it :welcomeani:

A friend of mine works for Sky and apparently the 3D Football matches are amazing.

Get a pre owned one!

Yeah, I would but you hear about problems with them. I wouldnt like to buy a used one off Ebay. I have put a wanted ad on here to see if anyone is selling one.

Yeah, I would but you hear about problems with them. I wouldnt like to buy a used one off Ebay. I have put a wanted ad on here to see if anyone is selling one.

Not everything on eBay is used, you know?!

Search eBay for "PS3 BNIB"

That's "brand new in box"

Edited by harfordwmj

ME jnr is a very sociable, intelligent and sensible lad and has good parents, he wont be wasting his life on a Playstation.

He has worked hard at school and his efforts are being rewarded. (he is top of his year and he is working at the level of kids in the year above).

-----

Any other suggestions about which one is best and where to buy please ?

I wasnt calling your son dumb or calling you bad parents, just thought you would like to learn from my past experience. I spent loads of time playing the Playstaion and Xbox original when I was in my school years, wish I never now as I missed out on life, till one day I decided to chuck them away and never looked back. Concentrated on getting a car and driving lessons.

There are other ways of rewarding your kids, would he rather have driving lessons when he's old enough or something that will actually help him in the future?

If he's not fussed about which model he's getting, you can pick up one which isn't the 'slim' version for a bit cheaper. I think your best bet is eBay. You usually get bundles etc for much lower than what you find on the highstreet, as sellers on eBay are pushed and pushed to lower their margins to draw people in for a bargain.

Last week there was a glitch in the PS3 network, any PS3 that wasn't a slim, if turned on during a certain period, was subjected to loss of data/game trophies.

Slims have a marginally lower failure rate then the classic one. Don't get a second hand one unless you can get a long warentee, take my word for it.

It's the new "3D ready" so when all the 3d films start getting released or Sky HD, you'll be able to watch it :good:

I thought all TV's were '3D ready' :hmm:

Last week there was a glitch in the PS3 network, any PS3 that wasn't a slim, if turned on during a certain period, was subjected to loss of data/game trophies.

Slims have a marginally lower failure rate then the classic one. Don't get a second hand one unless you can get a long warentee, take my word for it.

I thought all TV's were '3D ready' :good:

My PS3 was fine last week and I watched about 6 films and played a fair few hours of Call of Duty.

'3D Ready' will be on new TVs as they require minimum standards, such as 120Hz, (60 for each eye) >>read here<<

You must've been lucky Harford, did you actually sign into the network? Two of my PSN buddys lost hours and hours of their stuff, Sony didn't seem to bothered and just basically said if you have a slim, don't worry. :good:

3D Ready - so you still need 3D goggles to see the 3D-ness? What's the difference between watching a 3D DVD on a cheapy HDTV and then on a '3D ready' TV?

My TV isn't '3D ready' but I watch 3D DVDs on it :hmm: