Stop nets

Ferret Master

Hi,

Ended up buying an '18 yard stop net complete with 3 poles' at the game fair yesterday for £28 from Bridport nets.

Just tried setting it in the back garden with my Dad... even the ferrets were laughing at us. :good:

Now, all you experienced net setters, here is my question. :o Have I had my pants down and should I have invested in some additional poles? The reason I ask this is that there is more netting than 18 yards, lots more. I understand that this can be desirable in order to have plenty of 'bagging' so the rabbit doesn't bounce off, however the 3 poles are nowhere near enough in order to support this, thus meaning that by allowing any bagging the top cord of the net is falling to the floor. I am guessing that a few more poles are going to be the way forward?

All advice, input and **** taking appreciated.

FM B)

I bought a longnet last year, and at first I had simular problems.

What I ended up doing was twisting the top drawstring around the top of the pole, untill you got the desired height in the net. I had to do this along the entire of my 50yard net which ended up making it more like 42yards long. You will have to shove the pole in the ground as far as it will go, otherwise the poles will move in the soil, and this will also make the net sag.

But, when it was set up and working, it became worth it's weight in gold.

I hope this makes sence.

Allowing for a pole every 7 yards three poles should be plenty start off at one end spread the net out put a pole in at the end then tension the top line to the middle pole the do the same to your other end .Then you can walk back along the net adjusting the bagging as you go as long as your top line tight dont worry to much about the bottom line till you can set and pick up the net

Thanks for the replies. :good:

Will try and get some pictures sorted in the next couple of days.

FM :good:

I have the same net and have no problem with it in firm ground i just move the bottom grommets up a little to gain more lengh on the pole if on softer ground.

if you need to tighten the top line then get a 2 lengths of string and a couple tent pegs. put first pole in and then put string around top of pole and then out to a peg so you have a triangle, then ship the rest of net out and when you come to the last pole a stretch the bottom line out using my foot then push pole into ground. take the the other length of string and peg and do the same as you did on the first one. it should be nice and tight on top and bottom now and look a bit like the old style scouts tent.

regards

Phil.