The N.Ireland Pigeon results

Jonnyni

I havn't been on here for a while due to my office restricting access to 'Shooting/Social clubs' so here is what I have been up to latley.

Over the last 5 weeks or so I have been out every Sat. morn shooting with a pal of mine. We have had good enough results every week rangeing from 15-30 pigeons every week. Some days could have been beter if the hangovers hadn't have affected our shooting ability but thats our own fault :D .

Now we are seeing the usual seasonal balling up of birds some decoying and some with no interest at all prefering to carry on somewhere else. The birds are not as predictable 'are they ever' as they could be in one field one day and somewhere else the next. The birds are also flighting into sitty trees and staring at the decoys/magnet pruning themselfs as they are not in as much of a rush to get the grub into them (ha ha they don't know winter is just round the corner yet).

We are haveing great shooing for about the first 2hrs then t dies a death and its time for a fry.

Last week we shot 11 pigeons 3 crows and a Greylag (yes paddles down over the magnet)

Hows everyone else doing.

Yes I know your at the pheasants Dazza :lol:

I have had flighty problems all summer, birds not in great numbers, not coming in, not going into field with lots of grain down but sitting in grass fields just over the fence?:lol::oops: I could not work out what their flight lines were at all :lol:

On Saturday past they were grouping in large groups of 100-200 but mostly sitting in trees. Can't work it out.

I did shoot 1 with my rifle :lol:

Hi Jonnyni, have been shooting the last few months with similar results as you. The last few weeks we have seen really large flocks 200+ (large for this area) but having problems decoying them. First hour is good then nothing.

Lots of crows about though!

What part of n.i. are you shooting in?

Just to add to thread three of us went out to shoot over 40 acres of stubble last Sunday about 2.30pm. The field was full of crows magpies and pigeons, 250+ birds in total. We set up and after almost an hour had shot 1 crow. Gave up and went for a walk and got three snipe 1 pigeon and 1 very surprised pheasant!! :oops:

Im in County Down, ive hardly saw a pigeon the last month :lol: sayin that i did spot about 8 feeding in a barley field yesterday but no gun :lol: Was at my uncles farm in Co. L'Derry a few weeks ago(hes a grain and potatoe mostly) and ther was flocks of 500+ everywere. I was talking to a few local shooters who said they are having prombelms decoying because theres so much feeding.

I cant work out there behaviour either, ive saw on a few occassions a barley field and potatoe field side by side and the pigeons feed in the potatoe field :oops:

As ballymac says there is piles of crows about, just in, shot 9 from 10 carts in 15 mins lol :lol:

hi lads was out on saturday and shot 55 woodies and a few crows. i went out for a drive on sunday morning and seen 400 at one place around a 1000 at another and afew 100 on other feilds. also seen lots coming into a roost wood think this will be a big year for seeing lots of birds. :P:lol:

The weather was **** on Sat. you did well Colin.

We sat in a field that had approx 500 birds in the field and hedgerows the day/days before. A few birds did turn up on Sat but the weather definately had an effect on the flight. One flock of about 200 birds did decoy and i got that excited when I stood up too shoot I couldn't pick a bird until it was too late :lol::) so ended up I didn't even get a shot fired :lol: .

Found 300+ wigeon/teal after that (went and got permission to shoot them) so might give them a bash next weekend if the winds still from the south.

Lots of birds everywhere and flocking up even more now which is not so good.

Yea I am suprised that there are as many N. Irish shooter on the forum.

Now that we know you are from NI or where you shoot, come on guys, fill in the personal data so we know who is from here in the future.

While you are at it, anyone getting good deals on .222 Tikka 3 rifles??? Where???