Dark day for cider drinkers

Billy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miserable shower in government increasing the duty on cider - the thing is that Brown, Darling & Co have made so much money from having their snouts in the trough that [a] a 10 or 13% increase in cider is nothing to them and they probably dont drink it anyway - too busy quaffing champagne & expensive wines.

I feel sorry for all the West Country traditional cider makers and also the apple & pear orchard farmers - bet Darling did not think about them [but then neither does the government on the ghastly Tesco care about any farmers] and also it is hitting the growers here in Ireland who supply all the apples to make Magners - which is just wonderful to drink after a hard day outside either shooting or in the garden.

I agree about the smoking ban in pubs - they are so much nicer now - clean and fug-free

:hmm:

Any non smoker will tell you that was one of the best decisions ever made.

Most decent pubs are riding out the storm <generally speaking> the ones going under weren't that popular anyway.

But I agree with that some decent pubs have been replaced by characterless holes.

But You live in an affluent area and unfortunatly most of the rest of the realm does not!

The smoking ban has killed the pub trade and done more to close pubs than the Luftwaffer could ever have managed!!

Edited by SHOOTEMUP

You think so....since they banned smoking my local now smells of the little blue cubes they put in the urinals. :hmm:

Oh dear, is the public bar in the gents and the saloon in the ladies and then the beer garden is for those who prefer to relieve themselves outside? :good:

I have been to Manchester - dont really know the pub scene there but was taken to one little gem of a rural pub - really old & friendly, which was in an oasis of countryside almost surrounded by Manchester airport - it was superb and there was no smell of "liitle blue cubes" - I promise! :hmm:

Don't be patronizing now

I know there are plenty of other far better pubs than my local... and I am not adverse to visiting them including several around Dunham , Hale and Bowden.

However none of these are 200 yards from my front door.

• 2 weeks later...
49467ed3214df5c.gif

in order for them to lose, they have to not win...

can you see labour winning, anyone?

:angry:

unfortunately.... I worry that the answer to that is a yes.

after the **** up that labour have made over the past 13 years, with a **** record for all to see, I still can't believe that people would vote for them.... but vote for them they will...

scary

Looking at the poles it is going to be a close run thing.

But the worst of it is that in theory Brown can get in with the tories still getting more votes. I think they need to win by over 10% to gain an overall majority because of the way the boundaries work.

Also if the lib dems have to choose between tory and labour they will almost certainly choose labour.

So a good few tonight before the taxes go up :angry:

Looking at the poles it is going to be a close run thing.

But the worst of it is that in theory Brown can get in with the tories still getting more votes. I think they need to win by over 10% to gain an overall majority because of the way the boundaries work.

Also if the lib dems have to choose between tory and labour they will almost certainly choose labour.

So a good few tonight before the taxes go up :yes:

Just the thought of the Lib-dims being in power sends a shiver down my spine :lol: Hyper tax-and-spend unproven anti-gun idiots backed by do-anything-for a vote socalist clowns, eeeep. :angry:

Mark

Just the thought of the Lib-dims being in power sends a shiver down my spine :yes: Hyper tax-and-spend unproven anti-gun idiots backed by do-anything-for a vote socalist clowns, eeeep. :angry:

Mark

Could be worse... The Green Party would be a nightmare. They'd pay off the debt by making petrol £50 a gallon. Justified by the use of 'alternative energy' for cars.

Could be worse... The Green Party would be a nightmare. They'd pay off the debt by making petrol £50 a gallon. Justified by the use of 'alternative energy' for cars.

Its ok they'd have our guns off us first so we wouldn't be driving half as much anyway :angry:

Mark

Edited by Breastman

I have not done any home brewing since I was at Uni but found myself in a wilkinsons looking for a picture frame and came across the home brew stuff. For the first time in 20 years I found myself thinking " well there's an idea ".

dont be afraid buy it , then you can make this . princes apple juice 50p per ltr (morrisons) x 25 = £12.50 1 sachet youngs cider yeast 80p put in 5gall fermentation bucket give it a stir cover and wait in 10 days (depending on temp) you will have 5 gallon of turbo cider strength 6-8 % with no preservatives etc :)

dont be afraid buy it , then you can make this . princes apple juice 50p per ltr (morrisons) x 25 = £12.50 1 sachet youngs cider yeast 80p put in 5gall fermentation bucket give it a stir cover and wait in 10 days (depending on temp) you will have 5 gallon of turbo cider strength 6-8 % with no preservatives etc :)

Edited by skyshooter

Sorry, Cocked up reply. Not used to forum yet! Where do you get yeast from and bucket, also how do you get the cider fizzy? Never tried home brewing before.

Yeast - Sainsburys

Bucket - B&Q

If you mess up a reply, just edit it and type again. You don't need to write a new post every time you muck up.

Sorry, Cocked up reply. Not used to forum yet! Where do you get yeast from and bucket, also how do you get the cider fizzy? Never tried home brewing before.

you can get both from wilkos or an home brew shop . an home brew shop will sell cider yeast which ferments out giving a dry cider or you can use a champagne yeast or a gp yeast (general purpose ) theres plenty of homebrew gear on the bay a lot of it local pick up only so the prices stay low as for making it fizzy i use whats known as a king keg top tap barrel and inject with co2 but you can put finished cider into empty magners bottles with a tspoon of sugar re crown and wait a couple more weeks and it will then be fizzy oh and you must sterilise everything before use :)