Ruger 10/22 semi-auto - Bolt Assembly Malfunction

ab1964

Last week I purchased a second hand 1022 Ruger from a gun shop. Wednesday I was at the range firing my new .22, when two malfunctions were noticed.

First Malfunction was that it jammed on occasion. By jammed, I mean after firing, the spent shell fully ejects, but the bolt does not fully close as the new round is inserted - leaving about a 1/3 of new round visible in the breach.

This part of the malfunction probably can be fixed by a good cleaning and oiling.

The second part of the malfunction is what concerns me. While shooting, obviously I not know the breach was not fully closed after the first shot, and the trigger was pulled for the second shot. The result was the click of the firing being released - but no ignition. Then I noticed the bolt did not fully close - (again - a good oiling may fix that problem). But it concerns me that the pulled trigger releases the firing pin while the bolt is not fully forward/closed.

Before I return the gun to the shop where I purchased it - I'd like a sanity check.

Am I correct to think that the firing pin releasing with the bolt not fully closed is a true malfunction, not to mention a dangerous one?

I think I know the answer, but just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Edited by ab1964

strange it sounds like its just full of crud strip the action and clean everything i used to drop the trigger unit into a ultrasonic cleaner saves stripping as these can be a nightmare to rebuild....id clean and re oil and retry it.

if it does it again take it back and tell them its faulty.

they will more than likely just clean it anyway.

but be carefull if its playing up and you dont trust it take it back.

also what make of bullet are you using. i ask because some are really waxy like rws and the wax build up can stop them feeding smoothly so make sure the chambers clean and free from wax

Edited by SPARKIE

I have to totally agree with Sparkie on this one mate. Strip the rifle down and give all of the firing mechanism and the trigger a real good clean, lightly oil it all and then reasemble it. You might well find that the problem is cured after a good clean. You might be very surprised at how much "Crud" Dirt and Muck can accumulate in a 22/250 in a realtively short period of time.

The type of ammo you use can make a difference to the recycling mechanism operation as well. I found that my 10/22 would not recycle Eley Ammo as it was too waxey and sticky, they would just jam the thing up or leave the spent shell jamming the recycling mechanism partly open.

If however you are in doubt over any safety issues with your rifle it might be better to have a goor gunsmith check it out for you!

I agree with the above. My 10/22 sometimes jams when I am using it in the field. Mostly when I use sub-sonic ammo. If you completely strip the gun down and clean it (not too hard to do) it should solve the problem. I now strip mine down after I've used it, so it's ready for next time. Don't over oil it though, just a very thin smear of gun oil should suffice. Also, don't worry about it 'firing' when the bolt is not fully forward, because it will do this, and is not a 'fault'.

strange it sounds like its just full of crud strip the action and clean everything i used to drop the trigger unit into a ultrasonic cleaner saves stripping as these can be a nightmare to rebuild....id clean and re oil and retry it.

if it does it again take it back and tell them its faulty.

they will more than likely just clean it anyway.

but be carefull if its playing up and you dont trust it take it back.

also what make of bullet are you using. i ask because some are really waxy like rws and the wax build up can stop them feeding smoothly so make sure the chambers clean and free from wax

CCI Sub Sonic

CCI Sub Sonic

is it the ones with a mv of about 700fps? if so they are the WORST KIND! :hmm:

first, cci subs dont have enough power to cycle the bolt of the 10/22 - i know this after having to recock after every shot a couple of weeks back. i had 100 that i wanted rid of, got p'ed off by the time i fired off 60 :yes: secondly, theyre the dirtiest rounds ive ever come across, couldnt believe the amount of powder they left in the breach, around the bolt and in the trigger mechanism. i thought i could get away with a quick clean but after a nightmare yesterday im going to have to do a full strip down and scrub later tonight. get rid of them asap ;)