does anyone on here use a 7.62

Hello chaps!

Just wondering, i've been looking into target shooting and the like and i've been offered an old mauser [subject to joining the club] in 7.62.

The thing is i'm also looking to get my dsc1 and using said rifle for stalking/culling, the problem is guns and glass aren't cheap so i'd rather not buy two rigs if i can help it.

I haven't spoke to my FEO about this yet, so i would like some advice on the matter before i broach the subject more formally.

ATB,

gram.

Hello chaps!

Just wondering, i've been looking into target shooting and the like and i've been offered an old mauser [subject to joining the club] in 7.62.

The thing is i'm also looking to get my dsc1 and using said rifle for stalking/culling, the problem is guns and glass aren't cheap so i'd rather not buy two rigs if i can help it.

I haven't spoke to my FEO about this yet, so i would like some advice on the matter before i broach the subject more formally.

ATB,

gram.

Is it actually 7.62 or 7.92?

If it an older wartime issue G98 it will be 7.92 unless it has been re-chambered.

Obviously there are newer mausers out there in 7.62, I would say from opinion the FEO would most probably issue two calibers rather than that arrangement.

Expanding ammo is a legal requirement for deer, and whilst it is available for 7.62 it is not necessarily that easy to find...and do not consider putting .308 through your 7.62.

.308 is far more common for deer but as long as you follow the legal requirements there is nothing to stop you using a 7.62.

Lots of other things to think about as well though, rifle weight, moderators, scope fittings, barrel lengths, etc. That's why .308 offers a lot more choice of guns and ammo and is much more widely used on deer.

Strange replies, as 7.62 and .308 are one and the same thing are they not?The primary difference is that the 7.62 has a minimaly thicker base to the case to enable automatic weapons, ie machine guns to pick up and eject the round more easily...................or so I was led to beleive. We fire loads od 7.62 FMJ as practice rounds at the moving target rangers here in Germany.

Anyone know different?

Strange replies, as 7.62 and .308 are one and the same thing are they not?The primary difference is that the 7.62 has a minimaly thicker base to the case to enable automatic weapons, ie machine guns to pick up and eject the round more easily...................or so I was led to beleive. We fire loads od 7.62 FMJ as practice rounds at the moving target rangers here in Germany.

Anyone know different?

There are a number of differences and a number of sites address the issue...this is one....

.308 Winchester vs. 7.62×51 NATO

Ever wondered about the difference between the .308 Win and the 7.62×51 cartridge?

Before we go much further, we want to address the oft-posed question “are the .308 Winchester and 7.62×51 NATO one and the same.” The simple answer is no. There are differences in chamber specs and maximum pressures. The SAMMI/CIP maximum pressure for the .308 Win cartridge is 62,000 psi, while the 7.62×51 max is 50,000 psi. Also, the headspace is slightly different. The .308 Win “Go Gauge” is 1.630″ vs. 1.635″ for the 7.62×51. The .308’s “No-Go” dimension is 1.634″ vs. 1.6405″ for a 7.62×51 “No Go” gauge. That said, it is normally fine to shoot quality 7.62×51 NATO ammo in a gun chambered for the .308 Winchester (though not all NATO ammo is identical). Clint McKee of Fulton Armory notes: “[N]obody makes 7.62mm (NATO) ammo that isn’t to the .308 ‘headspace’ dimension spec. So 7.62mm ammo fits nicely into .308 chambers, as a rule.” You CAN encounter problems going the other way, however. A commercial .308 Win round can exceed the max rated pressure for the 7.62×51. So, you should avoid putting full-power .308 Win rounds into military surplus rifles that have been designed for 50,000 psi max.

A Bit More, this brings in the .223/5.56 issue as well..

http://guncentral.net/Articles/SAAMIvsNATO.html

Edited by Dekers

WOW! that's technical! I'm sorry to say most of that went way over my head, i haven't spoken to my mate since posting this but it's defo a 7.62x 51 cal. I'm not 100% sure of the model but the no 86 comes to mind, you'll have to forgive my being a bit vague about it as we were only chatting about target shooting and this rifle was mentioned, it wasn't until later that i thought about using it for stalking. TBH the majority of my quarry will be munty, CWD, and roe, i'll only occaisionally shoot anything bigger, i just think that the target shooting club is a great opportunity to get to know the rifle, if expanding ammo is a problem then i may have to rethink, or swot up on reloading data, my only problem with this is i had a minor stroke a couple of years ago and it's left me a bit dyslexic. so factory ammo would be best. thanks for the replies chaps it's very much appreciated, further more, would any of you have any reccomendations for a good all round calibre thats cheap for target practice?

WOW! that's technical! I'm sorry to say most of that went way over my head, i haven't spoken to my mate since posting this but it's defo a 7.62x 51 cal. I'm not 100% sure of the model but the no 86 comes to mind, you'll have to forgive my being a bit vague about it as we were only chatting about target shooting and this rifle was mentioned, it wasn't until later that i thought about using it for stalking. TBH the majority of my quarry will be munty, CWD, and roe, i'll only occaisionally shoot anything bigger, i just think that the target shooting club is a great opportunity to get to know the rifle, if expanding ammo is a problem then i may have to rethink, or swot up on reloading data, my only problem with this is i had a minor stroke a couple of years ago and it's left me a bit dyslexic. so factory ammo would be best. thanks for the replies chaps it's very much appreciated, further more, would any of you have any reccomendations for a good all round calibre thats cheap for target practice?

Put simply a 7.62 and .308 are not the same...feed whatever gun you have with the calibre of ammunition the rifle has stamped on it!

7.62 is a good target ammo and can be found at sensible prices, but it would hardly be classed as a good all round calibre!

What distances do you want to shoot target at?

If you want a calibre you can shoot all deer with (inc Roe) you need .240 upwards in England/Wales. :hmm:

Put simply a 7.62 and .308 are not the same...feed whatever gun you have with the calibre of ammunition the rifle has stamped on it!

7.62 is a good target ammo and can be found at sensible prices, but it would hardly be classed as a good all round calibre!

What distances do you want to shoot target at?

If you want a calibre you can shoot all deer with (inc Roe) you need .240 upwards in England/Wales. :hmm:

hi dekers, the range is being expanded to 100m, this is where the rifle will do most of it's work. I've been reading through you previous post and it seems what that fella is saying is that 7.62 will go through a .308 but not vice versa, if this is the case, i might just try for a .308 and use 7.62 ammo for target and .308 ammo for deer and fox. For the amount of shooting i do this seems like the ideal set up.

I was initially thinking along the lines of a swedish mauser when this "mauser 86" popped into the equation, hmmm, decisions decisions..

hi dekers, the range is being expanded to 100m, this is where the rifle will do most of it's work. I've been reading through you previous post and it seems what that fella is saying is that 7.62 will go through a .308 but not vice versa, if this is the case, i might just try for a .308 and use 7.62 ammo for target and .308 ammo for deer and fox. For the amount of shooting i do this seems like the ideal set up.

I was initially thinking along the lines of a swedish mauser when this "mauser 86" popped into the equation, hmmm, decisions decisions..

The possibility is that a .308 should handle a 7.62 cartridge! BUT, do not consider it the other way round, I'm still a bit old school here, the breech will say .308, I've never seen one that says .308 OR 7.62!!!.. I feed a rifle what it says!!

100 Yard shooting is frankly ANY calibre from .22lr upwards, on the right day a .308 will deal you a very respectable score at 1,000 yards, 100 yards is a stoll in the park for it!!

It does get to be a problem issue looking at one rifle/calibre for everything you want, .308 for fox would not be my first choice, even though mine is obviously conditioined for it!

ATB!!

The possibility is that a .308 should handle a 7.62 cartridge! BUT, do not consider it the other way round, I'm still a bit old school here, the breech will say .308, I've never seen one that says .308 OR 7.62!!!.. I feed a rifle what it says!!

100 Yard shooting is frankly ANY calibre from .22lr upwards, on the right day a .308 will deal you a very respectable score at 1,000 yards, 100 yards is a stoll in the park for it!!

It does get to be a problem issue looking at one rifle/calibre for everything you want, .308 for fox would not be my first choice, even though mine is obviously conditioined for it!

ATB!!

just got off the phone to viking arms about lapua ammo, in their catalogue they state .308 and in brackets 7.62. the expanding factory ammo works out to about £1.50 a pop. apparently they think they are one and the same. does anyone have the number of the proof house?

HERE YOU GO

Having read all that there is no reason why you shouldn't buy the rifle and reload your own ammo for stalking. The bullet diameter is still the same and as long as you are loading to suit your rifle there shouldn't be an issue. 7.62mm cases are easy enough to get hold of.

For target shooting at 100 yards the world is your oyster. If you want to do it competitively outside of your club then 7.62 is the way to go.

HPS target rifle

HPS list all theirs as .308

Edited by MC

HERE YOU GO

Having read all that there is no reason why you shouldn't buy the rifle and reload your own ammo for stalking. The bullet diameter is still the same and as long as you are loading to suit your rifle there shouldn't be an issue. 7.62mm cases are easy enough to get hold of.

For target shooting at 100 yards the world is your oyster. If you want to do it competitively outside of your club then 7.62 is the way to go.

HPS target rifle

HPS list all theirs as .308

Thanx MC, as always i can rely on pw to help sort stuff out. there are a couple of guys at this club that use and reload 7.62, i guess i'm sorted, thanx guys :devil: