Deer health problem

al4x

Anyone any idea what would cause a young deer to generally suffer wastage to the point where it has trouble getting up, found one of this years fallow bucks in a sorry state this morning, no wounds or signs of injury and sounds like its not the first in the area.

Al4x, It's normally well known if there is anthrax in an area so I would say TB, which is rife in places in the UK. If you have an outbreak, leave the carcass well alone and inform your local Ministry vet, they will inform you of what to do.

I notice you are from Hitchin, so your ministry vet is at;

The Animal Health Divisional Office,

Beeches Road,

Chelmsford

Essex

CM1 2RU

01245 358383 nightline 01245 353632 or AH. Chelmsford@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

We have been lucky so far in Worcestershire and I have not heard of an outbreak, but I know it is in and around Cirencester which in the great scheme of things is not that far away.

Atb, ft

its not going in the foodchain and has been dealt with by the local keeper but just interested what can cause it, we're not a TB hotspot as i used to work on the dairy farm and it was very rare for anything to test positive, so no idea just interested in possibilities.

not while I was there, he just turned up and shot it, though I was running late for work by that point so didn't hang round for long. I know he wasn't going to do anything food wise with it but may have opened it up to check what was going on