.17 ON YOUR FAC FOR FOXES

abiteachuck

personally if you want to shoot fox with a rimfire don't mention it on your interview. Odds are you will get a vermin / pest condition and in the real world you are never going to be asked to justify whether a fox is vermin. Asking the question lets the FEO clear it up for you and if its negative then you are going to have more trouble justifying it later on. Personally its all a load of bull as we all know in the right situation any rimfire will do the job, ok they aren't fox guns but perfectly capable of fox at the right range and thats before you start looking at the fact they vary in size hugely from cubs to adults. Forces are making the rules up as they go along and if we have so much variation force to force the whole lot is unenforceable. It would be very very rare to get pulled for it in the first place but you have the first argument of is fox vermin personally I think you'll find most definitions of vermin outside FEO cloud cuckoo land say they are. Then you have why do some forces call foxes vermin as Herts do and some don't. After that lot you then have people with fox conditioned on their rimfires certainly I have so why should my gun be any different or more lethal than anyone elses in the country.

Basically the setup is suck a crock of bullpoop that you have to work with it, and interpret your conditions in an educated way. Some of the conditions bandied about these days just stink of petty beaureacracy gone mad written by people with no understanding of guns or shooting. Sadly they learn from what they read not by doing so unfortunately this is when we rely on our shooting organisations and not many of them are going to stick up for rimfire use on foxes. Personally I've shot a fair few foxes with my .17 from 15 yards away to 100 and none have been lost. Compare that to shotgun use on game shoots and you will get a very different result.

There is no legal definition of vermin, as to whether a rabbit for example is game or vermin depends on it's location and the density of population.

i.e. it only becomes Vermin when it is deemed to be detrimental in some way (crop damage/spread of disease etc)

So in theory the same rule should apply for foxes... on (or near... given a fox's nightly range) a farm with chicken or sheep then it could reasonably be classed as vermin but sat in a couple of thousand acres of arable farm land it really isn't doing any harm so can't really be classed as vermin.

Whether in those conditions you still choose to shoot it is a moral judgement but in literal terms you maybe shouldn't shoot it, even with say a .223 with a specific condition for fox as that still doesn't allow you to kill on sight any fox you see.... or does it?

As al4x rightly says "the setup is suck a crock of bullpoop"[sic]

I can shoot them with my .22LR and .17HMR (As Beardo says, I'm from Herts too), as per my licence conditions.

It's all about how you get them worded. Some forces deem them to be vermin and others a separate species.

Edited by harfordwmj

what part of the country are you from, do you shot charlie with a .22 you dont say weather its a rim fire or centre fire also you are talking ******** calling a .17.

just my and most others opinion i guess

Ooo.... Bit protective over the HMR there...! Personally I hate the round and I waaaaayyy prefer the .22LR over the HMR and I wish I'd never put down for an HMR.

Ooo.... Bit protective over the HMR there...! Personally I hate the round and I waaaaayyy prefer the .22LR over the HMR and I wish I'd never put down for an HMR.

just keep pointing your .22 in the Luton direction then I know the ricochets won't come over the hill towards me :drinks:???

the stalwart .22lr fancier Stealth Stalker is even thinking of getting a .17hmr now... (i think 'cos he keeps missing with his 22 :lol: )

sure he wasn't using Garys .22 :drinks:

I even had Gary using an HMR well he had to use something else otherwise I could see the .22 being thrown in the next hedge or under the truck wheels to see if it worked better afterwards ???

sure he wasn't using Garys .22 :drinks:

I even had Gary using an HMR well he had to use something else otherwise I could see the .22 being thrown in the next hedge or under the truck wheels to see if it worked better afterwards ???

GB isn't a fancier of the HMR. However his LR isn't much to go by. I should have listened to him when he said I shouldn't have put in for the HMR though!

love mine, not used it much recently but having done a bit of bunny bashing recently it reminds you why you have it, point and shoot is great when lamping from a truck. I think it depends how much you use it as to whether you would be better off with a hornet. reloading is a bit of a fag for rabbit amounts of ammo when you can buy HMR ammo off the shelf pretty cheaply

Edited by al4x

On my grant for 22lr I had vermin.

On a HMR variation I asked for fox to be added.

Fox with the HMR but not 22lr.

If I shot a fox in a different county with no fox for HMR rules I think it would be difficult to bring about a prosicution.

My ticket says I have the authority with no mention of any land or county boundry restriction.

Allthough i only think I can visualise the face of an officer stateing it's illegall while the "proof" is in b/w on a police issued document.