.17 ON YOUR FAC FOR FOXES

abiteachuck

when i first got my fac,they gave fox on hmr without me asking but,they took it off when i put in for a varation for .222,which i got.

they now apparently will not put it on but,never heard if anyone who has actually asked for fox on the hmr and got it.worth asking about it,if you have a reason for it.

mine is GMP.

al

is there any force that will put fox shooting with a .17 on your fac i thought it was the same rule throughout the uk.

;)

HMR or CF, I have a .17AH for fox (along with the .223)

Since when did it become the police's job to determine what gun is suitable for what quarry? Is this role set out for them in the Firearms Acts? Surely their only concern is public safety. Or did I miss something?

I think they use a guide for minimum muzzle energy rather than cal

Instead of trying to quote this stuff from memory, I actually went and looked it up...

Fox

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered

suitable for the shooting of foxes range from

.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250

and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range

of suitable similar calibres commercially

available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets

aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to

use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes

they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or

6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally

too low-powered to be used against fox

except at short range, but may reasonably be

permitted for use against such quarry in

certain circumstances. However, sole use

against fox would not normally be sufficient

“good reason” to acquire such a rifle

Interesting to note that these guidance notes do say LR is ok for occasional fox.

For the full fascinating read, click here

I was told in my force area that .17HMR's are looked on for more general vermin and .223 was the perfurred for foxes to get a clean kill as the HMR may not knock em dead. Obveously this will also be dependant on distance and skill of the person with the gun ;)

Please let's be clear on the actual law here.

First point, there is no law against shooting foxes with any calibre. Ignoring your FAC for a moment, you may use what you like, period.

Second point, the legality of it comes in when discussing your FAC because of the conditions on your FAC. Therefore, if you have an FAC which lists 17HMR for fox, then you may shoot them wherever you like, and there's not a jot any other police force can do about it - it is perfectly legal, end of. If you don't have it listed, and instead have vermin, then you have the age-old 'does fox count as vermin'? question, and that I'm not doing here! My FAC has (for my 22 since I don't have the horrible HMR) 'any other legal quarry' which definitely does include fox.

The thing to bear in mind, is that there are two elements to a condition on an FAC - (a) What I can shoot with the rifle and (;) the Good Reason for the issuing of the rifle slot. If you consider the need to satisfy both of these then the wording does become a little clearer.

The important point is that, in law, the only thing that matters is the actual wording on your FAC, as the only offence you could commit is breaking the conditions of the certificate. So if it says 'any other legal quarry' then you can shoot fox, end of. Vermin is trickier, but let's not go there!

Please let's be clear on the actual law here.

First point, there is no law against shooting foxes with any calibre. Ignoring your FAC for a moment, you may use what you like, period.

Second point, the legality of it comes in when discussing your FAC because of the conditions on your FAC. Therefore, if you have an FAC which lists 17HMR for fox, then you may shoot them wherever you like, and there's not a jot any other police force can do about it - it is perfectly legal, end of. If you don't have it listed, and instead have vermin, then you have the age-old 'does fox count as vermin'? question, and that I'm not doing here! My FAC has (for my 22 since I don't have the horrible HMR) 'any other legal quarry' which definitely does include fox.

The thing to bear in mind, is that there are two elements to a condition on an FAC - (a) What I can shoot with the rifle and (;) the Good Reason for the issuing of the rifle slot. If you consider the need to satisfy both of these then the wording does become a little clearer.

The important point is that, in law, the only thing that matters is the actual wording on your FAC, as the only offence you could commit is breaking the conditions of the certificate. So if it says 'any other legal quarry' then you can shoot fox, end of. Vermin is trickier, but let's not go there!

what part of the country are you from, do you shot charlie with a .22 you dont say weather its a rim fire or centre fire also you are talking ******** calling a .17.

just my and most others opinion i guess

when i got my 22lr i asked for fox, it came back with "sporting purpose and vermin control" which i was told by my feo included fox. when i had my interview a few weeks ago for the 17hmr i asked for fox on it, i was told by two feo's that the psni have no official line of fox calibres and that it would be ok. when i got my licence back it had the same wording on it for both rifles - "sporting purpose and vermin control"