Vehicle mounted lamps

humperdingle

Not many to choose from?

Having just got a 4x4, i'm looking at the possibility of making use of some kind of vehicle-mounted lamp which can be controlled from inside the vehicle.

I'd really rather not cut a hole in the roof, so any recommendations for best suction type or bolt-on?

Not controlled from inside but............ Here`s mine !

Fitted to a Jimny too ???

have you got a sun roof in your 4x4?? if so make a board out of 3/4 ply to fit in your sun roof and fit your tbar to that. gently close the sun roof a bit to hold in place and bobs your uncle, roof mounted lamp without putting a hole in you roof plus you can keep your window closed should you need to. hope this helps

The old brain cells have been getting a much needed airing...

I dug out an old camera tripod which has the usual pan and tilt lever attached.

My Lightforce 170 has the scope-mount attachment. Looking at it, I found the attachment is simply bolted-on to the main lamp neck. Undoing this, it was easy enough just to utilise the existing bolt, and screw-on the quick-release camera fitting. This in turn is fixed very easily (With a lever) onto the top of the tripod head, and we have the making of something easily convertible back to scope-mounted when required.

The 1st picture shows the lamp mounted on the tripod head. I'll rig up either a suction mount or a roof rail bracket, and use the vertical tripod rod to clamp it on.

Total cost so far: Nil, apart from an old tripod

To buy: Suction grabber from B&Q, and i'll use some of the old tripod to make a frame.

The 2nd picture shows a close-up of the tripod's quick release camera mount, and the removed Lightforce scope mount.

post-7127-1270127884.jpg

Finished article:

All made with stuff I had lying around apart from the suction clamp (the tripod was an old one I bought for a tenner ages ago)

I hope you have mighty long arms Hump. As you'll have to drive around the whole time holding your arm up with you home made set up.

One of the major benefits of the Lightforce roof bar and T handle is your able to rest your elbow on the window cill of the vehicle rather than having to keep your arm held up the whole night in order to control the lamp.

Another benefit of the Lightforce rig is you're able to position it well forward of the drivers or lampers seat so you are not having to either reach back or twist your back in order to work the lamp.

Both things you'll find to be a real boon after a few hours out in the dark and a major plus factor after an 5 hour lamping session.

Extending the handle is only half the problem that you need to solve.

Once you extend the handle below the top of the door you have to incorporation some kind of tilt mechanism that allows the handle to swing out and upwards, other wise you can't open the door.

All of theses problems, irritations, aggregation's have been designed out of the Lightforce roof bar and T handle.

Or you can try making up something like this from Cluson.www.cluson.co.uk/productsMain.aspx?CI_ID=289

I been using their lamps for the last 25 years. A much under rated lamp IMO especially their new 2 million candle power Blazer-Lite

Here,s my attempt with my cluelite.

Lamp1.jpg

Prov :D

Prov Just a few questions.

1. Have you used the Cluson G clamp on you set up. If you have why didn't you simply purchase their extended handle and mounting bracket.

2.How do you get around the door opening problem with your DIY set up.

3.Have you built in a separate on/off switch as you've got the lamp mounted quite high?

Edited by JackReady

Hi Jack

The whole set up is homemade as you can probably tell :D . The clamp onto the window attachment is from some old bicycle lights that has a ball and socket attachment .

The door still opens as the set up is inline with the windscreen.

I can reach the switch ok from inside as i have arms like an orangutan. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, guys...

I must be a baboon, because I can reach the handle fine, and manouvre it pretty well without over stretching my arm.

Don't forget that this contraption was borne out of:

a. Lack of money to spend on any of the fancy Lightforce clamps

b. Not really wanting to have a permanent hole in the roof

c. Having the metalworking skills of Delia Smith (probably)

It remains to be seen as to how effective the set-up is when I actually get out for a lamp, but seems ok at the moment.

Ref extending the handle downwards, that's something i'll have a look at if the existing set-up is pants! :D

Edited by humperdingle