venison prices

inthedark

Umm i love venison but thought it was a little expensive from the butchers....

Maybe we should have a PW Butcher shop :blink: :oops:

I'd be happy to buy on a regular basis :good:

If you know anybody that shoots deer im sure they would be happy to sell you venison.If ever up this way ill donate one to yous.

So would you say an average Roe deer would be around the 30LB mark approx £40 gralloched with head and legs off then

Is that about the price you guys would get

My average roe would be about 15kg,so a wee bit more than 30lb.The two from friday went away today,and they weighed 13.5 each and for that i had £62.10.For decent sized ones it is around the £40 mark.After saying what my average weight is,it could be lower this season as they are quite lean,probably due to the harsh winter.

Edited by sako751sg

I am sure they will, but why not eat it yourself, taste is fantastic

doc

Oh I fully intend to, I just dont have fascilities for storing more than 1, and if i get a couple i would want to see it go into the food chain rather than wasted.

Before that becomes an issue i need to get the fac granted.

:blink:

Oh I fully intend to, I just dont have fascilities for storing more than 1, and if i get a couple i would want to see it go into the food chain rather than wasted.

Before that becomes an issue i need to get the fac granted.

:blink:

Legally you will also need a relevant accreditation before selling into the food chain via a game dealer/butcher etc,

which means taking one of the recognised exams. (DSC1, Wild Game Meat Hygiene Level 2 etc).

Unless your game dealer is not too fussy, but around here they are becoming very strict on this.

Legally you will also need a relevant accreditation before selling into the food chain via a game dealer/butcher etc,

which means taking one of the recognised exams. (DSC1, Wild Game Meat Hygiene Level 2 etc).

Unless your game dealer is not too fussy, but around here they are becoming very strict on this.

You can use the "Hunter Exemption" and sell small quantities of venison personally if you have the Large Game Handling Certificate (comes with the DSC1 now).

I got £5.00/kg for dice and £7.50/kg for joints and fillet. I only did a couple as I shot three fallow yearling does in a week, 5 for the fortnight. The rest is in my freezer :blink:

ft

Doesnt suprise me. Seem sensible too.

I guess you can still give it to mates?

Doesnt suprise me. Seem sensible too.

I guess you can still give it to mates?

You don't need any accreditations to sell 'small amounts' personally to 'friends and associates' etc (The definitions leave it very vague and open to interpretation....). As Flytie said above you can use the 'Hunter Exemption'.

But to put it into the food chain via game dealers, butchers, (pubs/restaurants?) to be sold on, you do need the Large Game Handling accreditation.

Edited by Browning

I work for a local gamedealer,we are paying £1.80 kg roe,fallow £1.15 kg for muntys.

Rob, Its a shame you are not nearer. I rang our local GD who is paying £1.00/kg for fallow and £1.25/kg for roe. He no longer gets my trade though. I only rarely get a surplus and have found friends and collegues who will buy my surplus.

ft