beef jerky

shot shot

OK, so I'm sitting here with a packet of beef jerky that I blew 2.69 on, and have decided that I have to try making it myself. Now I've done a search on here, and there is a recipe for it, but I need a recommendation on what cut of meat to buy, it needs to be cheap to keep the cost down. So lets have it lads, your cut of choice! :rolleyes:

thanks in advance

Edited by shot shot

i worked with a south african guy a couple of years ago and he made his own biltong, it was delicious, he used the leanest cuts of meat he could get as the fat is not so nice, he marinated it in a tub of what ever herbs and spices he used for a while then cut it into very thin strips and dried them on a rack over a radiator in his house, it was superb, i think he said it was topside of beef, but i reckon venison loin would be great as absolutely fat free when cleaned up.

try this

http://www.biltongbox.com/shop/index.php?a...mp;productId=17

mike

I`ve tried goose, an old bu993r that would have been tough. Marinated in vinegar then corriander and cumin dry roasted and ground as a rub and into the fan oven at @ 50"C for as long as it took the strips to dry :rolleyes: V tasty and would work with pigeon/hare/venison.

I believe that a wooden box with a 40 watt bulb set up inside works well too. Try THESE GUYS !

I used some beef steak from tesco of all places. It worked well for the first go (not to expensive whilst playing with flavours, etc.) Just so long as its about the right thickness I wouldn't be to worried at the start. I've now built a drying box using a lightbulb inside of it and hanging hooks made of paper clips! I get the rump off-cuts from my local butcher.