maize stubble

Fisherman Mike

A friend and I shot 189 today on a large field of maize stubble.

Cant recall who shot how many as we lost count after the first hour such was the intensity of the sport.,

The birds came all day to just 10 shell deeks but had been feeding in the field for the last 6 or 7 days.

There were hundreds and hundreds of them.

Must have been a really good breeding year.

I heard gun shot from a few miles away and guessed it was my friend Simon shooting a rape field..... rang him this evening and he shot 97 before he ran out of cartridges. !!

Spoke to a farmer yesterday who rekons there are more pigeons in these parts now than ever before... even in the peak years of the 70,s when he was using a total of 20 gas guns. he even intimated he might buy me some cartridges.... can you believe that :thumbs:?;)?:D?? :lol:

thats a big bag FM!

Over here most of the pigeons have already gone. Not worth to go out now. Season started at the 1. of November.

BTW: We have here quite a lot of maize so still a lot of maize stubbles but never saw pigeons coming in there. Never saw them feeding on maize stubble.

Hubertus

BTW: We have here quite a lot of maize so still a lot of maize stubbles but never saw pigeons coming in there. Never saw them feeding on maize stubble.

This particular field was left too late and badly cut so there was and still is loads of spoiled cob on the ground.

today when I drove past there was still loads of pigeon zooming in to feed and even more rooks

fm

You're in with a chance of another big bag on that mate, watched pigeons coming from all directions earlier this year on to some cut maize game strips, couldn't get on to shoot as it's "beaters only". Load of old codswallop as they never did get shot but you could see from the way they were coming in that it would have been a big day in prospect.

Well done, let us know how it develops !!!!.