6mm PPC/BR

I have been looking online about .243's and came across these calibres. I have found out they are nearly exclusively benchrest calibres, but my question is, does anyone use the above calibres?

If so, what is recoil like, compared to a .243 and are there any advantages.

I just want to know out of interest really.

post-17767-1272407481.png

6mmBR

post-17767-1272407500.png

6mmPPC

I found a load of 6PPC brass discarded at my local range last week. It costs about $1 per case here so I picked it up even though I have no current use for it. The cases look pretty good, but the bolt face is slightly smaller than the .243 So having an existing rifle converted might be tricky unless it has a smaller .223 bolt face that can be opened up. The velocity figures with lighter varmint bullets show it is a bit lacking compared to the .243 Win but as most benchrest competitors seem to favour 6PPC it must have something going for it. I will definitely consider building one at some stage. Recoil with a heavy rifle should be very mild not much more than a 22-250 I would imagine. The main advantage really is accuracy and I suppose less powder burned so probably a better barrel life. Though the cost of the brass will outweigh much of the savings in powder I suspect.

I looked at some figures on google (so don't know how true it is) and found they will push a 60 grain bullet at about 3,300 fps and a 70 grain at 3,250 fps.

Its not as though they are slow. I guess they can be more cost effective in terms of powder use than a .243 with them having a smaller case.

It just made me wonder why its so rare that anyone uses them for foxing over here :lol:

All the best,

Sam :thumbs:

I use a 6mmBR for all my foxing, vermin control etc. I had an old Sako A2 action rebarrelled, dropped it into a MacMillan Sako Varmint stock, and it

is the most accurate and versatile rifle I have.

I have 75gn VMax doing 3350 fps, 105gn Bergers doing 2810fps (This could go higher), both with excellent accuracy and good

out to 600 yards (Probably further...will find out this summer).

Lapua brass so far on 5th reload without need for shoulder bump.

I intend to find a deer bullet around the 90/95gn area that will give good accuracy over the next month also.

Recoil is less than my old .243, less powder, small rifle primer, a very effective round.

PM me if you want further info. :thumbs:

I have a 6mmBR and I would never be without this calibre. It has fantastic case life, only takes 30grains of Varget and is a tack driver, it is such a versitile calibre taking anything from vermin to deer.

I guatentee you will not be dissapointed, the only downside if you could call it that, is you would need to hand load. If you need anymore info let me know.

This is my set-up.

Cheers

Neil

Lapua (90gn Scenar, 105gn Scenar) and Norma (105gn Berger Moly) do factory 6BR ammunition, but only really useable for paper etc.

I seem to remember Savage made a factory 6BR rifle, and Ruger also used to. Not sure if they still do or how readily available they are.

To do it properly you really need to rebarrel, which means custom, or semi custom (Rebarrel a donor rifle as I did).

It doesn't have to be as expensive as you may think, and is the only real way to gain good accuracy.

I have the name and number of a first class riflesmith if you want to speak to someone that really knows what he's doing.

I seem to remember my donor rifle started off life as a .243Win.

I found the donor rifle and bought it for under £250, the existing barrel was shot out.

Had it re barrelled with a Border Cut barrel & bedded it into the existing stock.

The whole lot cost me less than £800.

I have since added a MacMillan stock, which improved the rifle even more.

I have a 6mmBR and I would never be without this calibre. It has fantastic case life, only takes 30grains of Varget and is a tack driver, it is such a versitile calibre taking anything from vermin to deer.

I guatentee you will not be dissapointed, the only downside if you could call it that, is you would need to hand load. If you need anymore info let me know.

This is my set-up.

Cheers

Neil

Cooper do a 6mmbr, I have heard some great reports, there is one on the guntrader at the moment for £995. http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/

Just remember though that mag feed with a BR can be very tricky. I have a 22 BR and although it drives tacks, those little cases are fiddly in the field and dont feed reliably in my gun. They may work better in a remmy or clone but I dont know. I would certainly do the build on a remington action as you will have all the choice of stocks trigers and barrels in the world. I have just sent one of mine off to be re barrelled into a 260 Rem. I like remingtons, elegant engineering simplicity. That is why it is the most copied action although I dont deny the copies are built to tighter tolerances.

Fister is spot on regarding the mag feeding. Mine will mag feed 'most' of the time, but I always now use it as a single shot rifle. (After all you only need one shot....).

Fister, I had a Sako M591 .308Win rebarrelled to .260Rem and it is absolutely my favourite stalking caliber! A very good round to load and shoot.

SSS,

I use a 6PPC for stalking roe and for all vermin. It is a highly accurate rifle and indeed I prefer it over the .243. THere is 30% (approx)less powder to use with just about the same ballistic capabilities. With a T8 fitted to mine, I barely hear it firing and the recoil is not worth talking about,(very slight). The brass is initially expensive as mentioned above but it lasts far longer. The .243 for example will possibly get 5 to 8 firings from each case but due to case stretch you will need to buy more. With the PPC you can get up to 30 firings from each case. So initial costs are far outweighed by case life. ie, it is cheaper in the long run to use the PPC case. The rifle below is a sako which is a proper 6ppc action and there are no magazine feed issues that you may get on other short cases.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=121919

Edited by jingzy

• 1 year later...

Savage still chambers a rifle in 6BR(LRPV) and from all I have read they are scary accurate but as Fister some can have feeding problems due to the lack of case taper. If I were wanting one(and I may) I would find a donor action and buy a match grade barrel and have a good smith build it. It will amaze you and your shooting partners.

if you use a m590 or m595 tikka action with a 22/250 mag it will feed perfect. i also hear a sako 75 action with a 6ppc mag will feed the bar round also.

but you dont see many of the 6ppc mags about for sale.

woops just seen the thread was started in 2010.

Edited by jamie g