How to measure a reel!

kiddy1

Hi,

can anyone help me please. My Grandfather recenty gave me a Hardys The Perfect Fly reel and other than the fact it is a Salmon reel I do not know anytinhg about it. Trying to Google it, there seem to be lots of versions from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2" but I am unsure exactly what this measurement refers to. Presumably it is the sideplate width where the handle is, but does it refer to the overall outside diameted or the inside diameter?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hello. I don,t know how to measure reels, I just wanted to alert you to the fact that some of the early Hardy reels are quite valuable. Hardy gear generally has a number, or set of numbers on it, if you get in touch with them ( they regularly advertise in the angling press.) they will probably be able to tell you the size, and possably the year it was made. I know that one was sold on ebay for over £2000 so do be careful LOTW

It's a fly reel not a centrepin and the measurement is the diameter across the spool. Some Hardys are very valuable, others lessso, but none are cheap.

A fly reel is a centrepin reel.

A centrepin reel can be used for fly fishing, or coarse fishing.

The size classification is the same, ie the diameter of the reel in inches.

A fly reel is a centrepin reel.

A centrepin reel can be used for fly fishing, or coarse fishing.

The size classification is the same, ie the diameter of the reel in inches.

They are not the same.

Centrepins have a click drag system or friction drag system that is the same whichever way they are turned. The drag systems on fly reels is designed to have a lighter drag or click when winding in and a heavier drag or click when the line is pulled out. Centrepins have a free spool facility, i.e you can usually turn the click off, fly reels usually don't, and many fly reels have a line roller whereas centrepins don't. Centrepins are usually narrower depth wise and wider diameter in construction. Centrepins and fly reels are designed for different types of fishing. Granted you can use a centrepin for fly fishing, but I'd like to see you trot the Trent with a Hardy Marquis salmon reel.

We will agree to disagree.

Its the basic design that is referred to as a centre pin, what you describe are only variations of a centre pin reel.

The basic design is only referred to as a centrpin in coarse fishing as the same design is often referred to as a 'Scarborough Reel' in sea fishing circles. A fly fishing reel is never referred to as a centrepin and has several features that a centrepin designed for coarse fishing does n't have and vica-versa, a freely rotating spool for one thing is only found on a centrepin, a one-way drag is only found on a fly reel. Apples and oranges, both fruit, but not the same thing.

The reel in question in working condition is worth about £170-£200 unless it is in its box in mint condition and then you could double that.

I would class it as a fly reel even though a fly reel is a variation of a centrepin reel they are different and are used for different purposes.

Hi,

You are not really getting the advice you need here. I have a Perfect and am familar with them.

It's a fly reel not a centrepin. PM me and I will be able to date it and give you an accarate valuation. If you look on the back the size is stamped on it! The size is measured straight across it's face, the total diameter including the rim is it's size. Valuation, from 150-5000 depending on a whole lot of variations. The first Perfects appeared around 1890 and there have been many many since. Typical value for something ordinary 2-300. Pm me and I'll help.

Edited by christy