I cant hit anything at night - please help

Hello all

I have a ruger 1022 (please read on dont judge yet, LOL)

At 50 yards in daylight i can put 5 shots in a 50p time and time again but when im out lamping i cant hit FA.

On sat checked zero spot on so went out sat night hit 1 rabbit and missed about 10 all 40 - 55 yards away.

So... on sunday went out for a bit to check zero and killed a crow at about 60 yards and a bunny at 47.

Any tips or advice would be good.

Cheers

James

sometimes i find that i become target fixated once i see the red eyes under the lamp ;) . i have found that it helps to approach the target initially without the scope at your eye, as it seems to make judging the range easier.

saying that i will eventually get a laser rangefinder i think.

What distance do you zero at, I found with my LR that 55yards was the sweet spot as it made it shoot fairly flat from about 12 out to 62yards with only 1/2" deviation.

This means I don't have to hold under for those 20-40 yards rabbits.

What distance do you zero at, I found with my LR that 55yards was the sweet spot as it made it shoot fairly flat from about 12 out to 62yards with only 1/2" deviation.

This means I don't have to hold under for those 20-40 yards rabbits.

Thanks all

My rifle is spot on zero at 50 yards so should be good.

I think it could also be I am rushing shots I dont know really I will need to practice at night more.

The trouble is you get frustrated and worked up.

Thanks again

James

At 50 yards in daylight i can put 5 shots in a 50p time and time again but when im out lamping i cant hit FA.

Is your daylight shooting of a bipod or bags :big_boss: if so what you shooting off at night ? as said distance can be hard to judge at night but im guessing your shooting of sticks or wing mirror ?

Distance is so important with the large curve on a .22lr trajectory,especially with subs, add that to difficulty judging distance at night and this is probably your problem. The .17hmr makes things alot easier in this respect. As mentioned earlier, set up targets at 40, 50 and 60yds that you can also shoot at night. Practice in daylight, with your gun fully rigged as you would at night, when you can get some good groups have a go at night. A mate of mine had a similar problem, he solved that by buying a bolt action CZ.

Other than the range difference it may be down to something as simple as adrenalin. You get all th etime in the world to hit a paper target, it's not going anywhere. Live quarry is another matter. An adrenaline surge may be making you rush/snatch the trigger causing a miss.