Stickmaking

lurcherboy

Hazel,holly,ash and if you get any with Honeysuckle twist in it I`m your man :rolleyes:

Cut when the sap is down(now til jan)but for thin sticks,ie. forefinger thick then any time as long as you protect it from too much heat.

The danglers is of course blackthorn!!!!!!!!!

Edited by henry d

Hazel,holly,ash and if you get any with Honeysuckle twist in it I`m your man :rolleyes:

Cut when the sap is down(now til jan)but for thin sticks,ie. forefinger thick then any time as long as you protect it from too much heat.

The danglers is of course blackthorn!!!!!!!!!

I have blackthorn HD, its over 70 y/o old and according to my old girl, my grandfather used it to beat the black and tans :P :o :D

Thanks for the advice mate. Got a 1100 acre wood nearby comprising of lots of coppiced Hazel.

LB :oops:

I'll be cutting the hazel sticks now the colder weather is here and the sap should be down. Also very good for long net sticks and for making purse net pegs. Don't fancy the thorns on them thar blackthorns !!!!.

Have a few twisties with the honeysuckle round them but none are really good uns, I've wondered about binding some younger sticks with soft wire as they are growing to see if it would have a similar effect. Guess the honeysuckle has natural compliance where the wire wouldn't have but it might be worth a go.

Hazel and Blackthorn best cut in Winter.

Season Hazel by laying flat in the garage rafters for 1 year and Blackthorn preferably 2

Straighten a section of a time over a steam bath and cool. You could use a heat gun but may scorch the bark.

Burnish both with fine wire wool.

Wax hazel & Lacquer Blackthorn.

Digger & Rooster..... I know I still owe you both a stick..... Im working on it and should be able to get them finished shortly.

Cheers.

FM.

LB..... Do you want a seasoned Blackthorn Stave :rolleyes:

Do you have any Carpinus caroliniana Walt. over there? It is also know as Blue Beech, Hornbeam, and Ironwood. One of the hardest pieces of wood that I know of, as a matter of fact it is only slightly under the tolerances of true Ironwood...Hop-Hornbeam Ostrya virginiana which has the highest density and btu rating of all woods in North America. You would never drice a nail through either of these species and in the days of olr they would make splitting wedges from them .

The bark of the Blue Beech is a smooth unbroken slate grey with muscle like longitudal ridges wich give the truck a wavy or muscle like look.

If you dont have it and you are interested let me know and I will tube a ccouple of them up and ship them to you.

Would also be interested in a nice piece of Holly with a Honey sickle twist in it....going to need that cane soon.... :rolleyes:

Will post a picture of the sheppards crook that is 12 years old now , that I made from an Ash stick.

Edited by new to the flock

Thanks for all the advice chaps B) Guess I better stop hanging bricks from them :*) I saw a Jack hargreaves programme when I was a nipper and said hang a weight on the end of them to keep straight.

FM, yes please, Pm me details price etc.

NTTF, those names mean nothing to me, but I may be able to help you with the holly. There are 5 very large holly bushes/trees in those woods. I will have a look over the weekend. BTW, did you make that one in the pic?

Once again thank you Chaps B)

LB