Do I have to take breaks?

Bleeh

The job I'm currently doing works on a 12.5 hour shift, and has two, one hour unpaid breaks. (I get paid by hour)

I know it's a legal requirement to have at least 1 30 minute break every 6 hours (so one hour total each day) But why do I have to take the second break?, but why am I being forced to stay on sight, and not be paid, when I'd rather be working and earning money?

Anyone Know?

Cheers

Edited by Bleeh

The job I'm currently doing works on a 12.5 hour shift, and has two, one hour unpaid breaks. (I get paid by hour)

I know it's a legal requirement to have at least 1 30 minute break every 6 hours (so one hour total each day) But why do I have to take the second break?, but why am I being forced to stay on sight, and not be paid, when I'd rather be working and earning money?

Anyone Know?

Cheers

hope these links might help you

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...03061945AALNzmy

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...17021339AA86TwN

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/doc,...sheet.html#q334

have u tried acas web site?

regards

geoff

Tough call mate, maybe rather than being heavy handed with unions, ask if you keep working for the second break can you take it in lieu or paid an extra hour?

Maybe the company you work for is trying to be philanthropic by doing this, question it mate, with the highest echelon you feel comfortable with.

Anyone Know?

Cheers

I know one thing they can not inforce you to stay on site if they are not paYing you fact.

How many days do you work 4 on 4 off if your working a five day week at 12 1/2hrs a day say you only want to work 48 hours .

48 hours is the most they can contrat you too unless sign the euro waver .

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

I know one thing they can not inforce you to stay on site if they are not paYing you fact.

How many days do you work 4 on 4 off if your working a five day week at 12 1/2hrs a day say you only want to work 48 hours .

48 hours is the most they can contrat you too unless sign the euro waver .

Kind regards OTH

I work on the bank shift system (Filling in the gaps) but due to some stupid decisions about over-time pay for full time employee's there is work galore.

I do either a 60 or a 72 hour week (5/6 days a week). I've never signed a waiver, I just do what I'm given or don't when I don't want o.

Ill pass this onto the RMT branch sec in the morning and ask him. At the mo, im going through employment law and ive got union stuff comming out my ears. As soon as i can, ill let you know what my situation is all about. :lol: Are you unionised? your local rep should be able to give you a hand with this type of stuff. I think it comes under the European working time directive bit.

I used to work 12 hour shifts in a factory,

They gave you the minimum breaks they had to by law...

work 4 hours, 15 minute break, work another 4 hours, 15 minute break, work another 4 hours then home...

this was early 90s so things may have changed since then

mind you we only worked monday-wednesday..... :lol:

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

The working time directive is very complex and its application varies from industry to industry.

For example in engineering construction are as follows;

Days- 12 hours- No more than 13 consecutive days followed by 1 day break-three breaks of 15 min,30 min & a further 15 min in the after noon ( 1/2 hour unpaid)

Nights-12 hours- No more than 12 consecutive days followed by 2 days break (same breaks as above)

Days- 10 Hours- 17 days on 1 day off breaks as above

Nights-10 Hours -17 days on 1 day off breaks as above

Personally, the terms your employer are giving are unreasonable unless you are working in adverse conditions-Such as hot or cold enviroment, confined space etc, which if you are then you should be paid your breaks.

All the other extras in the industries such as Height money and all that have now gone and it is more or less at a local level what you agree on.

I have to say that in this current climate and especially if you are working agency or other type of short term contract it is a bit of a job playing up as you just end up down the road as there are always others waitng to fill the place.

Does'nt mean you have to be walked all over though, best to try consultation with your employer first.

All I will say is that these days in the event of an accident the first thing asked by the HSE is how many hours has this person worked and how many days since he had a break.

As I said it is a big thing in all the industries at the moment as they say fatigue does cause a significant proportion of accidents in the workplace.

Edited by starlight32