Help on a valuation

ph5172

I thought i would pick the brains of those who may know.

I have the chance to acquire a Landrover

Specs:-

B Reg

2.25 Petrol (the series engine)

Full MOT and 6 Tax

In good condition - no MOT advisories

Fully undersealed

Few odds and **** like cubby box, sound deadening

Hasnt wanted for anything, i have seen all the receipts and have known it for 7/8 years

What would be the going sort of price?

If it's as good as you say I would be hoping to get down to the £1800 mark, be prepared to pay more if there's a few looking at it. Keep your eyes open for a 300tdi engine / box and the nec bits, drop it in and transform it (you'll get the cost back when you sell it).

If it's got an MOT but will need work for another one, then you're looking at about £1000. If the chassis (especially rear cross-member) or bulkhead it going rotten then £800 tops and more effort than it's worth. They'll all be rusty, but don't want a rotten one (which may be harder to spot than you think...)

If it'll last a few years without any major work for the MOT then up to £2000.

If it's had good maintenance done on it over the years and had a few new parts then up to £3000 (as in brilliant condition underneath - mostly new moving parts and all nicely painted/waxoyled and the bloke loves it).

It's probably done about 150,000 miles? Check for play in diffs, wear of UJ's, leaks round gear and transfer box, stub axles and swivels. Also check king pins and wheel bearings, and general clunks and thumps in the drivetrain. It'll not cost too much to replace these, but it'll give you an idea of how much work the vehicle has done.

At that age the engine may need a fair bit of work to get running well and last, or you'll find yourself having to change loads of stuff all at once - unless he's already kept on top of it.

The prices would be higher for a C reg or higher.

;)

Edited by George1990

at that age bodywork and interior are irrelivent if the bulkhead and chassis are sound it will make a grand all day long sounds like a good vehicle for a 200tdi transplant which would make it a 2 grand truck instantly its the way to go ! bit juicy them old 2 1/4 petrols