Buck

docholiday

post-14225-1274216261.jpg

post-14225-1274216304.jpg

managed to get out last night, and found this bad boy sunning himself under the hedge, took half an hour with the binos before I spotted him, then had to crawl for 200 yds before I could get into position, stood up but he just kept looking at me and refused to stand, after a few coughs at him he realised all was not as it should be and stood up broadside on. took the shot and he lept into the hedge, I had heared the strike so stayed put for a few mins. Next thing he leaps back out of the hedge and legs it up the field before diving back into the hedge, by now I am worried I had made a mess of the shot, after ten mins walked over to the place where he was standing when I took the shot, blood everywhere. walked up the hedge line and more blood. Got to the point where he went back in and there he was stone dead. when I gralloched him the heart was in bits, how they do this is amazing but always gives me the willies.

anyway leg for the land owner so everybody happy

doc

Nice buck. Looks like he is almost in full summer coat. I have just larderd my second buck of the season this evening and he is still in full winter coat!! Strange how they vary over the country.

The older bucks have changed to summer coats but the young bucks look a mess as they are still changing down here

doc

That's a nice Buck you've got yourself! Good work! :blink:

I hate it when they run off. So far I've never had one run too far but every time they take off there's a moment of wonder before they fall over. I've not lost one yet but I'm sure that will come with experience!

It's strange how you doubt yourself isn't it. On paper you can punch great groups all day long but the moment you see a Deer run you think "**** have I hit it badly?". The chances are the shot's perfect and you have a pretty large margin for error too but it still gets me every time!

Nice shooting Doc! That's a real nice buck, just in time for the brabies too!

I should imagine it is quite worrying when they run like that even though you are sure that your shot placement was spot on, it must put dount in your mind!