horse paddock permission

i have been goin on this land a few years now..and always txt the land owner to let him know i am goin..tonight was no exception..got the usual no problem reply..anyhow...gets to the spot..drives up[ the track..and as usual..all the horses follow me up..having a nosey....got out the car ..let the mut out,then noticed a grey horse was limping very badly..these are race horses and worth a few quid..so straight away i txt mik to tell him he has a prob..hes been up 2 inspect the horse,and he reckons its broke its shoulder..he said it was fine at 6.30 wen he checked them..anyhow had a natter with him then came home..the problem is this...he may think that i startled the horse and caused the injury...would you...txt 2morra and see how things went..or leave it till nxt time am wantin to go over..hope i dont loose the perm cos of it..as i genuinely had nowt to do with it!!! :angry:

Your worrying to much,he has trusted you for years,just text as usual and dont give him the chance to alter your arrangement,if he is not happy he will let you know,just as well you noticed it and maybe he was embarrassed that he hadnt noticed earlier :angry:

I very much doubt it has a broken shoulder, more likely some ligament damage or something else. My other half is horsey, I spend a lot of time with them and our horse has had many lameness bouts so I know a fair bit more.

Unless the context of the conversation gives you cause to believe otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it - most horse owners know very well that things just break, it's part of horse ownership. Given that you spoke with the landowner already, I think you would know if you were being blamed. If you feel you want to then text him, but make sure it reads as a casual enquiry, since you found the animal like that and you're concerned.

Yep as Mr. Logic says. i have horses, and they are forever scrapping on( pecking order and all that), don't worry like you say you've been shooting there for a long time, Horses pull alsorts of things and can limp for all kinds of reasons, back trouble, abcess in hoof etc, the list is nearly endless , just phone him and ask if your ok to shoot and ask how is the horse would be my way to go .

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it shows the kind of person you are worrying about it. I'm sure you'd ask how the horse is doing anyway, but just try and draw a line under the injury as you're not to blame and carry on as normal doing a good job for the paddock owner.

Dave, I have horses and as an owner one of the things you come to expect is sooner or later this kind of thing can happen. Admittedly a broken shoulder is somewhat more unusual than something like a tendon or a bruised sole for example, but as a racehorse owner/trainer he will know that if it is a broken shoulder it will more than likely have been caused by one of the others booting it. I would personally text and ask after the animal as that kind of injury will possibly be career ending for a racer, in some circumstances the horse may be shot. I really don't think you will lose your permission, it's really unfortunate, but for big strong animals, they are actually really delicate!