muckheap

cockatoo

high guys had awalk around the rape feilds today must admit it was bit hot. but noticed pigeons droping in at a large muck heap in corner of feild. question is should i give it ago and put some decoys and a couple of floaters down. isat there for while under a tree and the odd one came in and one atwo rabbits. so should itake camo net and have ago. anytips welcome. wot have got to loos isapose. thanks guys.

You will often see pigeons on a muck heap . I am not to sure what they are after but suspect it could be minerals or maybe they are after small worms or some kind of beatle . I know pigeons are vegatarians , but I have seen pigeons actually feeding on carrion on more than one occasion .

Harnser .

Look closely and you'll see a lot of small flies, bugs etc plus the seepage, that horrible thick black gunge, that leaks out of the heap all these appear to be palatable to woody. Had some good, not great days, on muck heaps...15 - 30 birds and as Cranners says the black stuff like 'em too.

Is there anything woody doesn't like from time to time...great opportunistic feeder.

Look closely and you'll see a lot of small flies, bugs etc plus the seepage, that horrible thick black gunge, that leaks out of the heap all these appear to be palatable to woody. Had some good, not great days, on muck heaps...15 - 30 birds and as Cranners says the black stuff like 'em too.

Is there anything woody doesn't like from time to time...great opportunistic feeder.

Highlander is right :yahoo: I have had some damn good days over muckheaps in the dry seasons, go for it.

Alan

i usually find that they are attracted to much heaps for the large murky puddles that gather around the base in the heat of summer. but some also do walk around on it and feed :blink:

absolutely bang on, we have a 250 meter long muck heap on my shoot, the pigeons come into drink the water just the same, but id be warey of shooting it to soon as you can have some of your best days shooting of these, when the weather warms up normally this is the safest easiest and closest form of a drink pigeons can get, so wait till there on the dry seeds and the water is pretty scarce and suddenly you will find you wont need any deeks (maybe a few to only to guide them along infront of you at times) the pigeons get very thirsty and pretty much are suicidal to get in to have a drink !!! had my best days shooting over muck heaps ! and i know it wont be long again :good: we even have a permanent hide at the muck heap ready !

Had a ride around the shoot tonight. Nothing on the barley, rape, beans or clover / pea / grass mix fields. But, the muckheap on the barley stubble set aside was heaving with pigeons. Must have been 200 at least. Guess where I'm going tomorrow?

shot pigeons meself over muckheaps.look a bit closer and you find weeds growing even rape growing out of em also seeds undigested grain fed to the cattle;well on the farm we shoot they are fed beans and rolled oats; then again not surprising why it is spread on land as fertaliser.

Edited by yickdaz