Value of a Range Rover? - a bit unusual....

malkiserow

I've been offered a very old Range Rover part way restored

It has :-

Galvanised chassis

SS exhaust

Galvanised inner wings

galvanised rear 1 piece frame around rear tailgate

SS tailgate lower section

Galvanised suspension strut brackets

200 D engine

all running gear works

No MOT

NO rear wings fitted but come with it

Road Tax exempt

Interior stripped out but comes with it.

any ideas what it is worth?

As parts it's probably worth a shilling or two, if you have the space and time (and customers) to break it.

As a project it's worth less than the sum of the parts.

As a profit making job forget it, the man hours alone to complete it will kill the job.

As a nice, comfortable, reliable toy / run around / off roader it's worth what you want / can afford to pay. If it's what you want and have the time and money to finish it just go for it.

Here speaks the voice of experience, I've wasted thousands on off roaders for both fun and competition and enjoyed every minute of it, so did the kids :good::good:

As an after thought, check the registration. Some VERY early (prototype / pre production) ones are rare and can be worth a few quid, Google should bring them up.

I had the chance of one running the Ferguson four wheel drive system along with abs (as in Jensen interceptor), we think it was prototype viscous diff model, but it wasn't worth a lot then so didn't bother.

As an after thought, check the registration. Some VERY early (prototype / pre production) ones are rare and can be worth a few quid, Google should bring them up.

I had the chance of one running the Ferguson four wheel drive system along with abs (as in Jensen interceptor), we think it was prototype viscous diff model, but it wasn't worth a lot then so didn't bother.

I've just checked what he means by early - it is car 1538 from early 1971

It also has galvaised inner and outer cills and a galvanised floor

It runs and not too far from an MOT pass stage of rebuild- I think it needs on outer wing bolting back on along with its glass plus the rear light

The main issues are paint and trim.

How does £2500 seem?

I've just checked what he means by early - it is car 1538 from early 1971

It also has galvaised inner and outer cills and a galvanised floor

It runs and not too far from an MOT pass stage of rebuild- I think it needs on outer wing bolting back on along with its glass plus the rear light

The main issues are paint and trim.

How does £2500 seem?

Too Much IMHO

The paint and trim are the hardest and most costly to finish

Cheers OTH

Too Much IMHO

Cheers OTH

I agree and he want that price as a starter.... time to look elsewhere while I'm waiting for my LandCruiser to be ready.....

I'm not looking for a ton of work and to lose money at the same time!

Thanks for the replies guys :good:

• 1 month later...
a part built motor is only worth what you want to pay , bearing in mind that all new parts are legally classed as used . if its part built they are no longer as new . remember that tax exempt is only for pleasure . not going to work ect ect . :good:

tax exempt (historic vehicle) perfectly legal for everyday commuting the only one to watch is most classic car insurance does not permit use for commuting only social domestic and pleasure, HGV`s on historic tax can only be used to carry their owners personal goods not for hire or reward

• 2 weeks later...
Too Much IMHO

Cheers OTH

tHATS A REASONABLE PRICE FOR A TAX EXEMPT RANGIE. yOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THE PARTS OF THE SHELL THAT ARE GALVANISED ARE THE PARTS THAT RUST. Only thing I would mention is it should be a V8. If you got pulled by DVLA you could have a problem if you don't fit a V8, as regards being Tax exempt, also as regards insurance. Anything fitted to the vehicle that isn't specific to the year means its modified. Adrian Flux are the best people to talk to for insurance. I have been working on these for over 30 years, so anything I can help with, get in touch. Lastly they can do almost anything any modern Rangie can do, without the hassle of electonic problems, and a pair of locking diffs makes it unbelievable in the rough

tHATS A REASONABLE PRICE FOR A TAX EXEMPT RANGIE. yOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THE PARTS OF THE SHELL THAT ARE GALVANISED ARE THE PARTS THAT RUST. Only thing I would mention is it should be a V8. If you got pulled by DVLA you could have a problem if you don't fit a V8, as regards being Tax exempt, also as regards insurance. Anything fitted to the vehicle that isn't specific to the year means its modified. Adrian Flux are the best people to talk to for insurance. I have been working on these for over 30 years, so anything I can help with, get in touch. Lastly they can do almost anything any modern Rangie can do, without the hassle of electonic problems, and a pair of locking diffs makes it unbelievable in the rough

As i understand it, to keep the original id of the vehicle (and therefore historic tax status). Point are awarded for certain main parts, chassis for instance is worth 5, engine 1 transmission 1, axles (both of) 1, suspension 1, and various other bits worth 1 each etc, It has a replacement galv chassis, which is fine and done properly is still worth 5 points, the engine can be changed without losing to many points as long as most of the other bits are still fitted :unsure:

As i understand it, to keep the original id of the vehicle (and therefore historic tax status). Point are awarded for certain main parts, chassis for instance is worth 5, engine 1 transmission 1, axles (both of) 1, suspension 1, and various other bits worth 1 each etc, It has a replacement galv chassis, which is fine and done properly is still worth 5 points, the engine can be changed without losing to many points as long as most of the other bits are still fitted :unsure:

If the chassis is not original it will not be classified as Tax Exempt. If it is a brand new Chassis you will be ok, but keep the invoice as proof. I suggest you check out this vehicle thoroughly, especially the chassis no, ie on the chassis between the 4 bolts that retain the steering box. And the steering box should be manual, the hole sizes are bigger for Power steering. Lot of spurious vehicles out there. Cheers