Additives to Diesel

amateur

...... as for the acetone been thinking about this one and if you bung some unleaded in it should have about the same effect ........

Do you mean that it will improve your mileage or (allegedly) ruin your injector pump?

Do you mean that it will improve your mileage or (allegedly) ruin your injector pump?

they are both solvents so effects will be similar you'll get smoother running and probably increased mpg, using it in a petrol engine is one thing in a diesel with high pressure pump another

Poured 300ml of semi-synthetic 2 stroke into the tank and it's not broken down yet. The man in the car shop was slightly bemused at the prospect of me doing this and had never heard it worked or recommended it, but what does he know - it's only his job :rolleyes:

So against his advice, I still did it and it's not going too bad.

Poured 300ml of semi-synthetic 2 stroke into the tank and it's not broken down yet. The man in the car shop was slightly bemused at the prospect of me doing this and had never heard it worked or recommended it, but what does he know - it's only his job :rolleyes:

So against his advice, I still did it and it's not going too bad.

was that a to a full tank?

Oh, and remember that there's a significant amount of fuel within the pipes and injection system, so it'll take a while for it to make it's way through

keep us updated :lol:

was that a to a full tank?

Oh, and remember that there's a significant amount of fuel within the pipes and injection system, so it'll take a while for it to make it's way through

keep us updated :lol:

:lol: no. Half tank. It should handle it ok.

I've driven about 15 miles, with a few tight turns to try to mix the tank up as much as possible. Seems smoother, but it's just in my mind, I know that!

On the subject of this... Is it just me who finds their car 'feels' faster, after refuelling?! :rolleyes:

It'll be fine Billy, diesels will run on engine sump oil if the turbo goes on some models and might smoke a bit but they run too well! looking about seems like the TD5 has the right injectors and pump to run veg oil with little change but worth talking to an expert before you try too much

It'll be fine Billy, diesels will run on engine sump oil if the turbo goes on some models and might smoke a bit but they run too well! looking about seems like the TD5 has the right injectors and pump to run veg oil with little change but worth talking to an expert before you try too much

You won't believe just how close I was to pulling over this morning, as I drove past the local chinese who were removing about a dozen barrels of cooking oil. I had no room for them and I have no means of filtering it.

You won't believe just how close I was to pulling over this morning, as I drove past the local chinese who were removing about a dozen barrels of cooking oil. I had no room for them and I have no means of filtering it.

Used cooking oil is a different ball-game. Although it is cheaper, there are complete web-sites on how to clean it up and what additives to put in, and, of course, you may have a local supplier who can supply it to you cleaned and ready to go.

I haven't, that's why I keep it simple and stick to the supermarket cooking oil

On the subject of this... Is it just me who finds their car 'feels' faster, after refuelling?! :rolleyes:

Now that is just plain ridiculous. Is that what PW has come to? An informative forum reduced to childish assertions about performance relating to the amount of fuel in the tank? :lol:

everyone knows it's washing your car that makes it go faster :lol:

I tell you what did once catch my eye, which I really really wanted to buy.

It's practically idiot-proof

http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/product/fuelpod-2100.aspx

Its practically three and a half grand :rolleyes:

Cooking oil round here all gets collected, so I assume the chippies etc probably get paid for it in some way so getting enough oil to make it work may be difficult

Its practically three and a half grand :rolleyes:

Cooking oil round here all gets collected, so I assume the chippies etc probably get paid for it in some way so getting enough oil to make it work may be difficult

Actually, £19 a week. Not bad if you've got a small stockpile of waste veg oil

Just a little update on this.

Everything seems fine. I stuck 15 litres into the tank with 400ml of semi-synthetic 2 stroke. I wanted to use a decent oil to start with and then move down from there.

I can't say that the engine seems any quieter, which is against all the posts on other forums saying their engines were 'noticeably quieter and ran smoother' however I am keeping in mind that I'm running an 05 Defender, not a 1988 :yes:

The only thing I did get a feeling had changed was the power about halfway through 2nd gear. It actually seemed much flatter and not that good to accelerate through - especially as I also took the drive out to see what the 0-60 was like (12 seconds FYI :lol: Which is proof that taking the EGR out was the best thing to do, as it's shaved off 3 seconds :lol: )

I am keen on keeping this going, but moving onto cheaper oils, as the 1L bottle of 2 Stroke set me back a fiver, which makes this very counter-productive :drinks: From what's been said, I gather veg oil is my best bet, but I'm worried I'm going to start ruining the car... I'll probably only go 1L of veg oil for every 10L of diesel - Does this seem bad at all?

If the above is acceptable, I'll run another 0-60 and post my progress

.......I am keen on keeping this going, but moving onto cheaper oils, as the 1L bottle of 2 Stroke set me back a fiver, which makes this very counter-productive :drinks: From what's been said, I gather veg oil is my best bet, but I'm worried I'm going to start ruining the car... I'll probably only go 1L of veg oil for every 10L of diesel - Does this seem bad at all?

You are at about the same level of experimentation as I was 18 months ago

Yeah, I'll pop past morrisions and pick up some veg oil in a bit. It'd be god to see how well it goes through the engine.

then look at the price of it and work out the saving and see if you can really be ***** to save 20p a litre, even bunging in 10 litres per tank equates to a £2 saving minus the cost of 2 stroke and the agravation of looking like a ***** on the forecourt filling up from plastic containers and running the risk to injectors and pump and its not quite veg oil FTW :drinks:

Just a little update on this.

Everything seems fine. I stuck 15 litres into the tank with 400ml of semi-synthetic 2 stroke. I wanted to use a decent oil to start with and then move down from there.

I can't say that the engine seems any quieter, which is against all the posts on other forums saying their engines were 'noticeably quieter and ran smoother' however I am keeping in mind that I'm running an 05 Defender, not a 1988 :yes:

The only thing I did get a feeling had changed was the power about halfway through 2nd gear. It actually seemed much flatter and not that good to accelerate through - especially as I also took the drive out to see what the 0-60 was like (12 seconds FYI :lol: Which is proof that taking the EGR out was the best thing to do, as it's shaved off 3 seconds :lol: )

I am keen on keeping this going, but moving onto cheaper oils, as the 1L bottle of 2 Stroke set me back a fiver, which makes this very counter-productive :drinks: From what's been said, I gather veg oil is my best bet, but I'm worried I'm going to start ruining the car... I'll probably only go 1L of veg oil for every 10L of diesel - Does this seem bad at all?

Asda sell it at £4 per litre

shaun

Yeah, I'll pop past morrisions and pick up some veg oil in a bit. It'd be god to see how well it goes through the engine.

Personally I wouldn't,

My shooting mate ran his 200TDi Defender on veg oil for about 3 months and ended up with a blown head gasket and bent con rods and a bill of about a grand for rebuilding the engine.

If you firmly believe that running on veg oil is cheaper in the long run and better for the enviroment then you are very much mistaken. Yes it will work for a while but when something does (and it will) go wrong then you geta large bill.

I did the 2 stroke oil thing about 3 months ago as B & Q had some on clearance. Yes I thought the engine was quieter but I haven't put any in since and I haven't noticed it get noisier. It has always pulled well and will happily sit at 80 all day long on the motorway.

Diesel engine development and diesel fuel production is far more technichal than is being discussed on here and companies plough millions into development. I am sure if it was as easy as tipping in some two stroke oil then someone would be cashing in on it.

Some on here seem to be missing the point about adding two stroke oil to diesel fuel . As an additive the two stroke oil was found to lubricate fuel pumps because of the lack of sulpher in the diesel . It also acts as an upper cylinder lubricant ,it burns off carbon from turbo vanes and removes carbon from pistons and valves . It will also lower exhaust emmissions and enhance the combustion of the diesel . With regular use you should also notice that the engine runs quieter and will pull better and yes in some cases will give you a little more mpg .

To understand the full benifits of using two stroke as an additive you need to read the original post that I made a while back . Search this forum for two stroke in diesel .

Harnser .