Clays in the evening

HDAV

Neither of my local clay grounds are open in the evenings, this is a pain as i would love to get out and get some practice after work, is this common? I would have thought they would make alot more money being open till 7 an evening or two a week rather than 9-5 (seems daft when most people cant there 9-5 but many more could finish work early and go in the evening for an hour or 2).

When i rang one too ask they said it was a "planning permission issue" so my obvious question was why not put in for an extension to open 2 evenings a week till 7.30 from 1st of May till 30th September unfortunately they close at 5 and it was 5 past when i rang......Would it be that difficult to apply for such a small amendment? Risk the existing permission? are there normall specific times on clay ground planning applications?

Edited by HDAV

the clay ground i use is open 5 days a week + in the summer is open till approx 7pm on wednesdays

he says he could be open 7 days if he wanted.no restrictions on his ground

alan

******, that would be ideal, shame gateshead is rather a long way away!

• 2 weeks later...
Neither of my local clay grounds are open in the evenings, this is a pain as i would love to get out and get some practice after work, is this common? I would have thought they would make alot more money being open till 7 an evening or two a week rather than 9-5 (seems daft when most people cant there 9-5 but many more could finish work early and go in the evening for an hour or 2).

When i rang one too ask they said it was a "planning permission issue" so my obvious question was why not put in for an extension to open 2 evenings a week till 7.30 from 1st of May till 30th September unfortunately they close at 5 and it was 5 past when i rang......Would it be that difficult to apply for such a small amendment? Risk the existing permission? are there normall specific times on clay ground planning applications?

Dont know where in South Wales you are but South Wales 2000 are open Wednesday and Thursday evenings, you have to be there by 7 but they are open later.

Dont know where in South Wales you are but South Wales 2000 are open Wednesday and Thursday evenings, you have to be there by 7 but they are open later.

I'm in Cardiff been to SW2000 once before not too shoot and was put off by the management...but seems the only option, not exactly easy to get too either

Edited by HDAV

I'm in Cardiff been to SW2000 once before not too shoot and was put off by the management...but seems the only option

I shoot there 2-3 times a week again, Wednesday and thursday evening and Saturday afternoon. I found they are pretty good when you get to know them, the owner Mike is always very helpful when he's around.

What discipline do you shoot? I think they are primarily trap and skeet but they do have a sporting layout, however I've never shot this so can't comment on it.

Membership will also be half price at £18 next month as it's half way through their membership year.

Gareth

I shoot there 2-3 times a week again, Wednesday and thursday evening and Saturday afternoon. I found they are pretty good when you get to know them, the owner Mike is always very helpful when he's around.

What discipline do you shoot? I think they are primarily trap and skeet but they do have a sporting layout, however I've never shot this so can't comment on it.

Membership will also be half price at £18 next month as it's half way through their membership year.

Gareth

I haven't really picked a discipline yet shot sporting mostly but also DTL and had a little go on a skeet range might try and pop up later this week if i can blag an early finish

Ian Coley just off Junction 11a of the M5 is open late (till 8 I think) on Thursdays for sporting, DTL and Compak.

From Cardiff (assuming little traffic) I reckon 80-90 mins. Bit of a trek for what might be a short practice but it's a good ground with extremely friendly, good people.

SW2000 is better for DTL, skeet and Compak. The actual sporting layout is a bit of an afterthought to be honest. Maybe that's a bit harsh, put it this way if it only had the Sporting without the rest I wouldn't bother going.

Edited by Thunderbird

You just turn up, tell them what you want to shoot and they will give you tokens £6 each for 25 targets. Stick that in the machine on the layout and away you go!

So how does that work on say DTL is one shooter at a time or squads of 5 at a time? I guess it works when you know it...£6 isn't bad i suppose.

Ian Coley just off Junction 11a of the M5 is open late (till 8 I think) on Thursdays for sporting, DTL and Compak.

From Cardiff (assuming little traffic) I reckon 80-90 mins. Bit of a trek for what might be a short practice but it's a good ground with extremely friendly, good people.

SW2000 is better for DTL, skeet and Compak. The actual sporting layout is a bit of an afterthought to be honest. Maybe that's a bit harsh, put it this way if it only had the Sporting without the rest I wouldn't bother going.

1h15 + £5.50 for bridge makes it a bit expensive......seems SW2000 is the only option locally, Just want to get in some practice with my new stick.....

Edited by HDAV

So how does that work on say DTL is one shooter at a time or squads of 5 at a time? I guess it works when you know it...£6 isn't bad i suppose.

1h15 + £5.50 for bridge makes it a bit expensive......seems SW2000 is the only option locally, I might bunk off in the afternoon off tomorrow and go to treetops if anyone fancies it. Just want to get in some practice with my new stick.....

You can shoot on your own or you can shoot with someone else if there is anyone there shooting the same discipline. DTL is usually pretty quiet in the evenings so you wont have any problems getting on a range.

I was mis-informed about the membership being £18 half way through the year, its £35 whenever you join and you save £1 a line as a member...I joined yesterday as I will get the £35 back within the first month!

I was mis-informed about the membership being £18 half way through the year, its £35 whenever you join and you save £1 a line as a member...I joined yesterday as I will get the £35 back within the first month!

Blimey......must get through some serious carts then (800+ month!) might try and get up there next week...

Yup, have got the time and transport now so I shoot whenever I can, I was only 17 when I stopped last time so didn't even have a full driving licence and had to rely on the parents!

I'm getting through around 300-350 cartridges a week :hmm: hopefully that will become less now I'm breaking most of the targets with my first barrel lol!

Send me a message when you're going up there and I'll shoot a round of DTL with you if you like.

thanks will do that, thinking of bunking off early tomorrow and going to treetops....happy for someone to show me the ropes at SW2000

Ha, just pm'd you pn this matter before i read the post!

pm me back if you are going to either, i can probably make it...

Edd