Ballistic tip Shooters

deadeye ive

Thanks to Varmintor and his dangers of ricchochet post in the video section I was wondering.............. :lol:

I'm currentley in the process of fabricating a swinging metal plate backstop so as i can zero on my permissions .

It'll be 12.5 mm thick and will be hinged and suspended to help absorb the energy of the bullet upon impact.

My question is will the remnents of a .223 BT riccochet back towards me from distances over 100yds.

The farmer would not appreciate me shooting his straw bails :lol:

Ive

hi ive.

dont think it will come back towards you mate.i use the hornady 223 bt,s. with the target up against a huge rock face. no probs, but i would not like to be standing at the sides of the target.

but iam no expert mate.

infact i have used the prvi partizan soft point to in the above conditions and never had a problem.

Set your plate at 45 degrees to the ground "fixed firm", target in front at 90 degrees to the ground "as normal". This will sent the ricochets off at 90 degrees to the ground . Just place over soft mud and no probelms , all bullets directed to safety. Pease of mind knowing where they are all going .12.5mm plate fixed firmly in place will stop .50 cal FMJ . Safe shooting mate .

Hello Ive,

When I first started using the Hornady V max I tried all manner of tricks to make them ricochet. If you are driving them out at the 3000 fps mark they will just "explode". By that I mean the lead inner will blow the copper casing apart. I have managed to collect the casings, after they have "exploded", and looking at them, I would be very surprised if they will make it back to you from a 100 yards away. The copper is just reduced to miniscule fragments.

However, Scaffmans excellent idea will put a stop to any ricochets.

:thumbs:

Thanks chaps

As usual i'm worrying about nothing.............However the idea of the backplate being able to swing is so absoerb impact better as i've already blown it's predecessor(Me dads) to pieces and that was 8mm S/S .At 100 yds a .223 went through it like a knife through butter :thumbs:

I would not have thought it possible until i seen it .

Like I've already mentioned ..........This video ,have you seen it ......what was the ammo being fired and what backstop was being used to cause it to riccochet.?

Ive

From experience I would say you should have little problems with the targets if they swing. I have found that the ground directly below the target gets churned up indicating that what’s left of the bullet blows downwards. I haven’t shot my targets at 100 yards though usually from 300 - 600, below that most mid size calibres (.243 and up) will pass straight through.

This might help; use a can of cheap fast drying white spray paint (B&Q) to make them highly visible. The force the target is subjected to has to be seen to be believed so make you welding super strong, even with 18" of the legs in the ground the target will often fall over with less than 20 shots (.308) and as little as ten with the 300 RUM.

SF

post-18-1134216900.jpg

Wow 400 x 350 - that’s huge!!! The plate above is 150 x 200 and can be reliably hit out to 500 yards even with a stiff breeze. You might once you’ve gained a bit of confidence look to scale it down to create more of a challenge. Out to 300 yards a target of 100 x 150 is probably more appropriate but the smaller you make them the quicker they get knocked out of shape.

Wow 400 x 350 - that’s huge!!! The plate above is 150 x 200 and can be reliably hit out to 500 yards even with a stiff breeze. You might once you’ve gained a bit of confidence look to scale it down to create more of a challenge. Out to 300 yards a target of 100 x 150 is probably more appropriate but the smaller you make them the quicker they get knocked out of shape.

SF

I know what you mean on the confidence issue has i've never shot further than 200 yds due to the lie of land where my permissions are (Flat as a pancake :D )

But I like to over engineer my fabrications and I like the excercise :D ............

But you can't be too safe with fullbore.

Ive

Hi Ive,

If its of any help, i was on my local peat bog this morning, shooting into a half inch sheet of galvanised with my CZ .223 using federal Nosler 40 grain Ballistic tip factory ammo.

Tha range was 200 yds, it went straight threw the sheet of metal and blew a great big hole in the turf bank behind it :D . Some power the .223 has. :D

Edited by Frank

Hi Nick, i get half inch groups at 100yds and just under an inch at 200 with the Federal 40 grain Nosler Bltx tips.

I have found them to be one of the most accurate factory foder so far.

Amazingly, Federal 64 grain SP, groups the same :D , even though my Twist is 1 in 12.

Sako 50 and 55 grain SP group an inch at 100, same with the Remington UMC FMJ and Remington 62 grain HP.

Its an amazing rifle, it has not shot real bad with all the ammo i have tested on it.

I think the worst would be Sako 50 grain SP and they still make an inch, sometimes going out to 1 and a half. :D

If its of any help, i was on my local peat bog this morning, shooting into a half inch sheet of galvanised with my CZ .223

Frank

You mean Plate ............The only stuff i've ever seen Galved that thick is Steel Section (Girders etc) and if it's going through that crossection I better have a re-think.

I already have a 6mm thk piece of S/S to weld on the back of it but at this rate I'll need an Iron Fairy (Portable Crane )to get it in posistion. :D:D:lol:

Being allowed to swing will make alot of difference Thanks for the warning though :lol:

Ive

Well SF, if your willing to come all the way over here, prehaps i can demonstrate :D

Thats exactly what happened this morning, i put it down to another one of my experiences with the .223.

If you choose not to believe me, then thats fine, im only going on what i have experienced. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Ive

What range do you aim to shoot it at? I have yet to see a .223 hunting/varmint round go through 12.5 mm plate at 200 yards.

SF

Sorry SF

I've just seen this

Due to the lie of my land ............no further than 175yds :)

The reason the plate is so big is to act like a back stop ..........The target zone will be painted on it .

Actually it is now complete ...........10 mm M/S with a 6mm S/S plate welded to it and it'll be angled to the ground..........Sorry I don't upload at the mo or I would post a pic :D

Ive

I am going to be trying out those 55grn BT's soon Frank I will let you know how they go, I don't know about in Ireland but over here they are getting up towards a £1 a go, so I am expecting quite a lot!

I need to settle on a load and then get 2 zero points, with mod and without, and then leave it alone, I don't like fiddling about all the time.

I think the ones I bought may be old stock as the packaging looks ancient :D I thought Federal had re-vamped all their boxes??

fed_box__Small_.JPG

£1 a shot, thats why i reload................,each case lasts 10 times and each refill costs 33p for my 22-250 so i reckon on about 38p per shot, £150 to set up reloading..................

Yeah I know, I get this all the time.

My mate who reloads tells me you can get going for about £120.

Last time I saw him he a new case trimmer, 'how much was that' oh only about 60 quid...

I think in reality it costs a lot more than most people think to get all the gear, there has to be a break even point, and to be honest I don't reckon I shoot enough rounds to justify it, as apart from the odd practice and zero session I don't get much out of range time either.

I used to tie my own flies (fishing, that is) so I know about the cost/quality argument, I just don't think I have time or the inclination to get into reloading - yet anyway. . . .

I feel the same myself Stuart. Reloading will be permited over here in June im told.

But after looking at all the cost of getting the kit :D , i think ill pass for now anyhow.

Im not too fussy anyhow, the groups im getting with factory ammo in my CZ .223 are very satisfying at the moment. :)

What more do i want when my rifle groups 1/2 inch with Federal 40 gr Bt and just under an inch with Fed, 64 gr SP. :):lol:

How about this for a thought...

My mate who reloads reckons he shoots less now because each time he pulls the trigger he thinks about all those hours spent at the bench creating those rounds :*) He does re-load for his 44 magnum, which apparenty takes seconds but is a bit anal about his 6.5 loads, hence the fact he doesn't take it to the range anymore. Having said that once he got the recipe right it is very accurate (more so than my Fedreals) and very consistant, which is of course the whole point of the exercise.

As you say Fister, it is hobby in it's own right, and I can see it can be very satisfying when it all goes right, I just doubt the per unit cost numbers quoted by the reloaders (and the flytyers) I used to pay more for my hooks than you could buy mass produced flies for.