log splitter

richie223

as said in the title,has anyone here succesfully made a log splitter?some hydraulic ones just look like a 10 tonne bottle jack bolted to a frame with a axe head the other end.thinking of making one for my old man as he is getting on a bit and swinging a axe wears him out :hmm: so people any joy??thanks rich

i use one, bought i think it was about £200 :lol: but very good, one point though is it has safety device incoraprated, so its not possible to get your fingers in the way !!!!

so if you do decide to make one i would seriously consider that point

Hi,

Retired hydraulic engineer. For the use you describe I would suggest that buying one to suit is going to be the cheapest and safest option. If you are or know a competent technician, the circuitry is not complicated even if you go for a hi/lo pressure pump which would probably exceed your needs anyway. Also, over engineer any frame-work, you'll be surprised at the forces generated.

Cheers

i made a trailer mounted log splitter for a customer complete with generator and power pack .

Dont be fooled into thinking you can use a bottle jack unless you mount it vertical.

Most bottle jacks wont work when lying on there side

A hydraulic ram and power pack or pump are needed . If you can buy one already made for 200 quid then that would be your cheapest option