And it's hello from him :-)

AxsMan

Yes another new poster here. Just joined as I have finally got around to applying for my shotgun licence.

Been shooting air rifles for a few years , have a Logun Axsor (hence corny pun screen name :lol: ) but have always hankered after a 'real gun'. So booked some shooting lessons with clays at the local club and hopefully will be in the market for something nice with two barrels :w00t:

Have been reading the forum and a Beretta 686E sounds like a good place to start so will be on the lookout for a good deal once my ticket arrives.

Some great info here, looks like a great place to learn some of what I need to know.

Thanx in advance for all the helpful advice I just know will be forthcoming ;)

Cheers all.

Axs.

Thanks all for the welcome!

Just got back from an introductory hours shooting at my local ground - Kibworth. Mrs Axs and I had a great time under the very expert and freindly guidance of our instructor Steve. I was given a Winchester (something) and Mrs Axs being somewhat smaller and (a lot) lighter than my 17 stone bulk, used a nice little 20 bore Lincoln.

I also got to handle a Browning 525, a Beretta 686E, and a Mikoru MK70 (I think) but didn't get to shoot them (this time ).

To my inexperienced hands the guns all felt more alike than different, and the Winchester performed perfectly well for me. Amazingly I did manage to hit more than I missed :lol:

Mrs Axs found it all a bit challenging but still smashed several clays which wasn't bad for her first ever go with a real gun :lol:

We've booked a follow up session for next week and I have defintely been bitten by the bug. But now I have a problem. Which gun to buy? Before shooting the Winchester I was hankering after a Beretta. Now I'm less certain. All four guns fellt good, and the Winchester certainly was more capable than I am. Prices new vary quite a bit but are all under £1500 so how do I choose?

Any advice welcomed. I 'm torn between 'start cheap' maybe secondhand knowing I'll probably want to upgrade in a year or less vs 'buy cheap buy twice' i.e. get a quality gun from the start and grow into it.

Decisions decisions...... :lol:

Thanks all for the welcome!

Just got back from an introductory hours shooting at my local ground - Kibworth. Mrs Axs and I had a great time under the very expert and freindly guidance of our instructor Steve. I was given a Winchester (something) and Mrs Axs being somewhat smaller and (a lot) lighter than my 17 stone bulk, used a nice little 20 bore Lincoln.

I also got to handle a Browning 525, a Beretta 686E, and a Mikoru MK70 (I think) but didn't get to shoot them (this time ).

To my inexperienced hands the guns all felt more alike than different, and the Winchester performed perfectly well for me. Amazingly I did manage to hit more than I missed :/

Mrs Axs found it all a bit challenging but still smashed several clays which wasn't bad for her first ever go with a real gun ???

We've booked a follow up session for next week and I have defintely been bitten by the bug. But now I have a problem. Which gun to buy? Before shooting the Winchester I was hankering after a Beretta. Now I'm less certain. All four guns fellt good, and the Winchester certainly was more capable than I am. Prices new vary quite a bit but are all under £1500 so how do I choose?

Any advice welcomed. I 'm torn between 'start cheap' maybe secondhand knowing I'll probably want to upgrade in a year or less vs 'buy cheap buy twice' i.e. get a quality gun from the start and grow into it.

Decisions decisions...... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: only problem m8 is once you get your cert there is no stopping the shopping i had 5 with in 5 weeks

• 1 month later...

Well an update from a new gun owner!

After four lessons at Kibworth I was definitely hooked and started looking seriously at guns. I bought and fitted a safe and applied for the licence.

A very nice member of the local constabulary came round and had a friendly chat, a quick look at my (inexpertly) fitted cabinet and pronounced me fit for purpose. :good:

I fired a few more guns, and last week tried a browning Cynergy composite. I really liked the feel if not so much the look of the gun, and since the shop had a Cynergy sporter with wooden stock at £300 below list, I took the plunge and bought it hoping that my licence wouldn't take too many weeks to arrive.

It dropped through the door on Monday, but sadly, since my sons wedding was that day i couldn't get to the shop until Tuesday!

Tuesday morning, slightly ahem, 'tired' from the previous days festivities picked the gun up. I didn't shoot it because I wouldn't have been at my best, and it's hard to focus on a clay when your head is pounding :no:

Unfortunately I'm off for a few days walking in Scotland this weekend so it will be next week until I get to put my first cartridge through it - can't wait!

Cheers all :good:

• 2 weeks later...