Tikka M55 .243 T8 mod for sale may split no RFD though sorry

the following quote comes form another site

from a very competent gunsmith at a very reputable firm....they obviously send theirs for proof form a business point of view

read below

"We get barrels back from proof regularly that they have forgotted to stamp at the muzzle. Nowhere in the proof acts does it mention the words "screwcutting, or moderator, or muzzle brake " they are therefore not covered by law. The act states the barrel shall not be "substantially" weakened if so, it then requires reproof. Putting a large diameter thread on a barrel does not substantially weaken it, and the proof house argument would not stand up against an expert witness in a court of law ie an engineer, hence the fact they haven,t pursued it.

There are probarbly only two companies offering insurance for gunsmiths in the UK. One of them changed their policy a few years back and would only offer cover on mods, threads etc if they were reproofed. They had been "advised" so by the proof house. This followed a lapse in buisness after the pistol ban. Non of it is law.

Guess what happened to the insurance company ? They lost a lot of business. We changed our cover immediatly, along with a lot more.

However, the sad fact is there are also a lot of people modifying guns etc with no insurance at all.

The threading argument is an old one. The proof house lost two cases when they tried to pursue it. "

i personally wouldnt have any problem buying an unproofed gun as long as the barrel diameter hadnt been threaded to a unsuitable smaller outside diameter from the barrel or unsuitable thread size for the calibre. and the job was competently done

on another note my mate has one of these rifles and its amazing....i bleieve a few custom rifle makers seek these actiona as they are regarded as some of tikkas best actions they either made

sauer

Edited by Sauer

How many shotguns have been sold in this country that have had a couple of inches lobbed off the end after proofing to reduce choke? 100's if not 1000's.

How many rifles have failed proofing after screwcutting? I predict 0%

How many rifles have been sold after screw cutting and not proofed? 100's if not 1000's

How can you ID a rifle that was screw cut in the factory then proofed in the UK?

:good:

the following quote comes form another site

from a very competent gunsmith at a very reputable firm....they obviously send theirs for proof form a business point of view

read below

"We get barrels back from proof regularly that they have forgotted to stamp at the muzzle. Nowhere in the proof acts does it mention the words "screwcutting, or moderator, or muzzle brake " they are therefore not covered by law. The act states the barrel shall not be "substantially" weakened if so, it then requires reproof. Putting a large diameter thread on a barrel does not substantially weaken it, and the proof house argument would not stand up against an expert witness in a court of law ie an engineer, hence the fact they haven,t pursued it.

There are probarbly only two companies offering insurance for gunsmiths in the UK. One of them changed their policy a few years back and would only offer cover on mods, threads etc if they were reproofed. They had been "advised" so by the proof house. This followed a lapse in buisness after the pistol ban. Non of it is law.

Guess what happened to the insurance company ? They lost a lot of business. We changed our cover immediatly, along with a lot more.

However, the sad fact is there are also a lot of people modifying guns etc with no insurance at all.

The threading argument is an old one. The proof house lost two cases when they tried to pursue it. "

i personally wouldnt have any problem buying an unproofed gun as long as the barrel diameter hadnt been threaded to a unsuitable smaller outside diameter from the barrel or unsuitable thread size for the calibre. and the job was competently done

on another note my mate has one of these rifles and its amazing....i bleieve a few custom rifle makers seek these actiona as they are regarded as some of tikkas best actions they either made

sauer

wasn't there a court case along these lines recently?